GU Lights Up With Four Wins

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

Playing with consistency, the Georgetown women’s tennis team has overcome the troubles that have plagued them all season and strung together a four-match winning streak. This past weekend, Georgetown defeated South Carolina State 9-0, arist University 9-0 and Rutgers University 5-4, and on Wednesday they downed Mary Washington University, 8-1.

The Hoyas soundly defeated South Carolina State Saturday at the cDonough Courts. Georgetown captured all three doubles matches in impressive fashion. At No. 1 doubles, the team of senior Lucky Ravindra and sophomore Caroline Marshall were 8-1 victors. Similarly, seniors Lauren Mendes and Ayana Brooks won 8-1 at the No. 2 spot, while the tandem of junior Jean Roberts and sophomore Gina Kim came out on top 8-1 at the No. 3 position.

Georgetown added to its 3-0 lead by overwhelming South Carolina State in the singles competition. Lucky Ravindra shutout her opponent 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1 singles. Likewise, Lauren Mendes was a 6-0, 6-0 victor at the No. 3 spot, and Ayana Brooks, too, was a 6-0, 6-0 winner at the No. 5 slot.

Later that afternoon, the Hoyas built upon their earlier victory with another shutout at the McDonough Courts, this time over arist. Again, Georgetown showed no mercy to their opponents, dispatching Marist in a crushing fashion.

Senior Sarada Ravindra was a 6-1, 6-0 victor at No. 1 singles. At the No. 3 spot, Georgetown’s White posted a 6-0, 6-0 shutout, while freshman Kim Wattrick added a 6-1, 6-0 win at the No. 4 position.

The Hoyas did not relent at doubles, where the team of freshman Hadley Muckerman and Wattrick blanked Marist 8-0 at the No. 2 spot. It was a landslide victory for the Hoyas.

On Sunday, the women were again in action, this time against Big East rival Rutgers. The match began at the McDonough Courts but was soon moved indoors to the Montclair Tennis Club, in Dumfries, Va., due to steady rain.

This was perhaps the greatest victory for the Hoyas on the weekend as they came back from a 4-2 deficit to capture the victory with three doubles wins. Seniors Sarada Ravindra and Missy Mendes showed their experience in an 8-2 victory at No. 1 doubles. At the No. 2 position, Lucky Ravindra and Marshall evened the overall team score with an 8-5 win, while Muckerman and Wattrick sealed the Georgetown victory with an 8-4 win at the No. 3 spot.

The Hoyas’ weekend success carried over to Wednesday as they extended their winning streak to four with an 8-1 victory over Mary Washington at the McDonough Courts. Georgetown secured solid wins from a number of players. Sarada Ravindra was a 6-2, 6-2 winner at No. 2 singles, Marshall was victorious 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 3 position, and Missy Mendes won 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 4 spot.

With these four wins, the women improved their record to 8-9 on the year, 3-2 in the Big East. Today, Georgetown will play host to the University of Maryland-Baltimore County. Tomorrow they’ll face off against Lynn University at McDonough Courts, where they will also play host to local rival George Washington University Sunday.