GU Held to One Goal in Two Weekend Matches

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Boston College senior forward Beth Totman edges past junior defender Elizabeth Roberti in the Eagles’ 3-1 victory over the Hoyas Friday afternoon.

Georgetown’s early season struggles continued over the weekend, as the women’s soccer team lost to Boston College, 3-1, and George Washington, 2-1.

Georgetown finished the Hoya Classic in last place. Boston College defeated Virginia Commonwealth in the championship game, 3-2, in double overtime.

It was anything but vintage Georgetown over the weekend. One of the top scoring teams in the country last year, the Hoyas have managed just two goals in three games. The club’s 0-3 record is its worst start since the 1998 season.

“Our ability to score has been our biggest weapon, but we just didn’t hit the ground running this year,” head coach Diane Drake said. “We haven’t found a rhythm, we haven’t found composure. We’re lacking in leadership on the field and it’s going to catch up to us if we don’t sort it out.”

The Hoyas expected Friday’s game against Boston College to be a tough match. Georgetown played strong defensively for much of the first half, but Boston College broke through with two quick goals toward the end of the period.

At 36:46, sophomore goalkeeper Lou Butler stopped a shot from the top of the penalty area but bobbled the ball. Eagle midfielder Laina Ceddia played the ball off Butler’s fingers and easily scored behind the keeper.

Just over three minutes later, B.C. came through with another goal. Butler managed to deflect a shot by Ceddia but Beth Totman scored off the rebound to give the Eagles a 2-0 advantage at the half.

The Hoyas fought back in the second half and cut the lead in half in the 60th minute. Sophomore midfielder Shara McNeil took a lob pass from senior Courtney Shaub and sprinted into the Eagles’ zone. Two B.C. defenders ran into each other and fell down trying to play the ball, leaving McNeil alone with the goalie. cNeil played the ball over the diving keeper, scoring Georgetown’s first goal of the season.

The game slipped away from the Hoyas just a few minutes later, however. In the 66th minute, senior defender Jen Choiniere was shoved to the ground but did not draw a call from the referee. Directly off the play, Totman beat Butler one-on-one for her second goal of the game, giving Boston College a 3-1 lead that effectively put the game away.

“We watched the tape of it and it was a terrible no-call,” Drake said.

Sunday’s game against George Washington started badly for the Hoyas. Twelve minutes into the game, Colonials midfielder Ashley Squires lobbed a high ball toward the Georgetown goal for what appeared to be a harmless shot. Yet as Butler leapt for the save, the ball passed over her hands for a goal and an early Colonials lead.

“I hate when we give away soft goals,” Drake said. “It’s just crushing. [Butler]’s got to be resilient. She just needs to let it go.”

Georgetown had an excellent opportunity to tie the match moments later. In the 15th minute, McNeil split the defense and beat the goalie but her shot hit the left post and George Washington cleared the ball.

The Colonials extended their lead in the 54th minute, when Sarah Sample shot from inside the penalty area and hit the top left corner of the net for the second goal of the game.

After George Washington’s second goal, the Hoyas were forced to play aggressively. As a result, Georgetown controlled possession in the second half. Senior forward Jessie Beers-Altman scored at 61:07 off an assist from junior midfielder Nicole DePalma to cut the lead to 2-1, but Georgetown failed to capitalize on several scoring chances thereafter. The Hoyas’ best opportunity came with 15 minutes left, as Shaub kicked a centering pass in front of the goal to McNeil, whose header was saved by a Colonial defender inside the goalpost.

Georgetown outshot George Washington 27-19 and had nine corner kicks in the game. The Hoyas consistently kept the ball in front of the opponent’s goal but could not find the net.

“We dug ourselves a hole early on. We tried like hell to come out of it [but] we couldn’t,” Drake said. “We had lots of chances but chances aren’t good unless they’re in.”

With her team struggling, Drake emphasized the need for the team to stay focused and to take small steps back toward winning ways.

Georgetown will try for its first win today at 4 p.m. against George Mason on North Kehoe Field.