BASEBALL GU Gets Big East Win By Mark Mulvanny Hoya Staff Writer

Ruthie Braunstein/The Hoya Georgetown set a school record earlier this season by throwing 16 strikeouts in one game, a 13-1 victory over Bethany College.

While other Georgetown students might have been enjoying a pint of Guinness, the Georgetown men’s baseball team went back to work on St. Patrick’s weekend. The Hoyas (6-17, 1-2 Big East) began the Big East season by losing two of three against the defending Big East Champion Seton Hall Pirates (6-11, 2-1 Big East) in Bethesda, Md. The Hoyas took the opener Saturday 8-4 but dropped lost a wild second game, 14-13. The Pirates dominated the Hoyas in the rubber match Sunday, 11-4.

Eric Sutton (3-3) led the squad in the first game by shutting down the Pirate offense. The left-handed senior earned the team-given Pitcher of the Week award for his complete game, six strike out performance.

Georgetown’s younger players fed off of Sutton’s intensity. Sophomore catcher Michael Lombardi and freshman shortstop Matt Johnson each went 2-3 on the day with an RBI. Freshman first baseman James Supple also contributed with a sacrifice fly in the fourth. Supple’s sacrifice and Lombardi’s double down the right field line in the fifth were highlights of a seven-run scoring spree that broke the game open for Georgetown. Seton Hall tried to rally in the seventh but could only muster two runs. The Hoyas cruised to win 8-4 in a little over two hours.

The second game of Saturday’s doubleheader was a much longer and messier affair. Freshman right-hander Eddie Pena surrendered the first four of 14 Pirate runs in a game that lasted for nearly four hours.

But the first four Seton Hall runs proved to be far less important than the final two. The Hoyas gave up these in the ninth on a passed ball and an RBI single by Pirate freshman Ed McDonnell. This was McDonnell’s third RBI of the day and proved to be the game-winner as the Hoyas could not hang on to an early 8-2 lead.

Sunday, the Hoyas fell 14-13 behind the weight of four Pirate players who had multiple RBI. Georgetown showed strength on offense as well with 10 extra base hits. However the Pirates’ timely hitting left the Hoyas one run short in a game where the teams combined to strand 18 runners.

The Hoyas could have used Saturday’s offense on Sunday. The Pirates’ senior right-hander Chris Carter struggled mightily in the early innings, missing the strike zone on nearly every pitch. Carter basically gave the Hoyas their first four runs only runs by walking five batters and throwing three wild pitches.

Unfortunately for the Hoyas, Carter calmed down and pitched solidly for the next five innings until the game was called due to rain. He did not give up a hit after the second inning. Freshman second basemen Anthony Seratelli provided the offensive punch for the Pirates, going 4-4 with three RBI.

Georgetown continues its homestand this week when the take on Columbia in a two game set this Tuesday and Wednesday. Both games are scheduled for 3 p.m. and will be played in Cabin John Park in Bethesda, Md.