GU Finishes Third at Pre-NCAAs

The Hoyas continued their string of successful races, as they return from last Saturday’s NCAA Pre-Nationals in Terre Haute, Ind.

Ranked No. 7 by the latest Mondo men’s NCAA division I cross country poll, the men’s team turned in a third place team finish out of a field of 37 teams. Colorado won the meet with 63 points, capturing the Blue Men’s Race. Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo finished second place with 165 points. The Hoyas were five points back in third with 172 points. Arizona State was fourth (179) and Air Force fifth (216).

Senior Rod Koborsi was the first Hoya to finish the race. He came across the line in sixth place overall out of a field of 256 runners, covering the 8,000-meter course in 24:11.2.

Next in for the Hoyas were sophomore Chris Lukezic and junior Steven Meinelt, finishing 20th and 30th with times of 24:30.7 and 24:37.2, respectively.

Juniors Chris Esselborn and Fleet Hower rounded out the Georgetown top five scorers as they came across the finish line in 46th and 70th places, respectively. They finished with times of 24:45.2 and 24:57.6.

On the women’s side, the Hoyas were recently ranked 28th in the nation by the FinishLynx cross country poll. This past Saturday, the team finished in 17th place with a score of 494 points.

Stanford won the women’s 6,000-meter Blue Race with 49 points. Notre Dame earned runner-up honors with 111 points, followed by North Carolina in third with 129 points.

Senior Nicole Lee had the best race of the day as she finished in ninth place overall in a race with featured 252 runners. She clocked 20:50.4 for the 6,000-meter race.

The next Hoyas to finish were freshman Maggie Infeld and junior Erin Henry who finished with respective times of 21:53.6 and 22:25.1 in 42nd and 124th places.

Junior Sabine Knothe was the next Hoya to cross the line in 157th place in a time of 22:42.3. Freshman Melissa Greilli came in a few spots behind Knothe in 162nd place in a time of 22:45.4.

Both the men and women’s teams look ahead toward the approaching championship season, which begins with the Big East championships on Oct. 29.