Courtesy Georgetown Sports Information Senior Nick Cook shot eight under par at the JMU Invite for second place overall.

After not winning a single tournament last season, the Georgetown men’s golf team had a lot to celebrate after last weekend’s season-opening victory. Their festivities, fortunately, did not interfere with this week’s play and the team stroked its way to its second victory in as many tournaments. The Hoyas beat a much stronger field to feast upon the spoils of the James Madison Invitational, held at the par-71, 6,497-yard Lakeview Golf Club in Harrisonburg, Va.

Even Hurricane Isabel’s torture of the East Coast, which delayed the tournament’s start until Sunday, did not dissuade the Hoyas from putting forth a great effort. Despite slow greens that made putting tricky, they found themselves up four strokes on second-place James Madison after day one. They held together on day two to score an impressive three-round total of 846 (287, 275, 284), six under par. JMU shot an impressive 281 for round three but fell short of the Hoyas by one stroke.

The win, however, did not come as easily. The front nine of day two was marred by putts not falling in the hole and penalty strokes that cost the team precious airspace going into the back nine. Sophomore David Erickson helped turn the match to the Hoyas’ favor with two birdies on holes 14 and 15. Senior Nick Cook’s birdie on 16, unanswered by his playing partners senior Jay Woodson of JMU and senior Dan MacDonald of Maryland, brought the team back in command of the match.

“It was a short par-four and I hit a good drive down near the green,” Cook said. “I was able to make an eight-foot downhill putt to get the birdie.”

Cook led the Hoyas again and nearly climbed to the top of the leaderboard. After day one Cook sat in the lead at nine under par (68, 65) but shot 72 the next day to wind up at eight under, missing first place by one stroke. Junior Brett Pitman of Rutgers University took the individual win carding a nine-under-par 204 (69, 69, 66).

This marks Cook’s second silver finish of the season, missing first place last week at the Navy Fall Invitational to Navy senior Bill Hurley. Hurley broke the course record with a 61 in his 12-under-par tournament performance.

“I’ve been playing well,” Cook said of his last two outings. “I left a few shots out there but mostly I’m confident. It’s important that the team won, and as long as the team does well I’m happy,”

Of Cook’s recent contests, head coach Tommy Hunter said, “He played well enough to win his last four times. I believe he’ll win very soon.”

Erickson also performed well overall, shooting a second-round four-under 67 and tying for 15th place with a three-round total of 215 (76, 67, 72). His partner at 15th place, freshman Tim Moynihan (73, 72, 70), played well in his first collegiate event by putting up a one-under-par score in his third round. Moynihan, a Pittsburgh native, qualified for the U.S. Amateur this past summer.

Rounding out the Hoyas’ strong play, senior James Farrah came back with a 70 on day two, good enough for 29th place. Sophomore Matt Myers came in at 221 (73, 71, 75) to tie for 44th.

The tournament marked a new scoring record for the team and the program.

Finishing behind JMU were Maryland at 847 (284, 284, 285), followed by Towson at 855 (286, 284, 285) and Rutgers at 861 (289, 288, 284) to round out the top five.

The team takes a few weeks off from competition until the Xavier Invitational on October 13 and 14 at the King’s Island Golf Club in Cincinnati.