The Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams finished their fall schedules last weekend with the Wilson/ITA Regional Championships, the most difficult events of the season for both teams.

One player from each team is chosen to play in the singles main draw tournament, and one pair each is selected for doubles.

In both tournaments, the finalists from each of the four singles flights and the doubles champion advance to the ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships at the University of Michigan on Nov. 4-7.

Senior Liora Gelblum represented the women in the singles division of the ITA Eastern Regional at the University of Pennsylvania.

She took a 6-2, 6-1 first-round win against Marist junior Yana Tikhonko.

Fourth seed Candice Fuchs, a nationally ranked William & ary senior, shut out Gelblum in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0.

“Liora played fine, it was just the other girl was on fire,” Head Coach Rich Bausch said.

Gelblum paired up with freshman Liz Winokur for the doubles tournament. They won their opening match 8-2 against sophomores Katrina Elder-Bush and Lauren Edelschein from Rutgers, one of Georgetown’s Big East rivals.

“I’m really happy that they beat Rutgers. It was a decisive win, and I’m delighted with that performance,” Bausch said.

Gelblum and Winokur received an extremely tough draw for the second round and lost 8-0 to the second-seeded and nationally-ranked pair of junior Ramona But and sophomore Marianne Baker from Maryland.

But and Baker went on to the doubles finals, where they fell to the fourth-seeded and also nationally-ranked William & Mary pair of Fuchs and freshman Megan Moulton-Levy.

“The women won matches at the ITA. Anytime you do that, that’s a successful ITA,” Bausch said.

The Georgetown men were not as successful as the women, failing to earn a win in the ITA Northeast Regional, held at Virginia Tech.

On the opening day, sophomore Kevin Killeavy lost 6-2, 7-5 in the qualifying round to junior Jean-François Robitaille of Stony Brook.

Scott Faust, also a sophomore, fell to Princeton junior Josh Burman, 6-2, 6-4, in the first round of his main-draw flight.

Faust and Killeavy played doubles together and faced a tough draw in their first match. The Brown duo of freshman Saurabh Kohli and sophomore Eric Thomas defeated the Georgetown pair 8-1. Kohli and Thomas then beat three seeded teams on their way to the semifinals.

“As the tournament played out, our draws were much tougher than they looked,” Bausch said. “I’m not happy that we didn’t win matches at the men’s [tournament], but it wasn’t for a lack of effort.”

The ITA Regional Championships close the fall tennis season for the Hoyas, but the players do not get to rest. The spring season starts in January, and the team will be continually training and practicing until then.

“I’m really pleased with the women’s team overall. I think that their practices have been good, and each weekend they played better than they did the previous weekend. That’s not enough, but it’s a great start,” Bausch said. “On the men’s side, the men as well played better each weekend, but the practices have not been as good as they need to be.”

Georgetown will begin its long spring schedule of dual matches with the women playing Pittsburgh, a Big East team, and the men facing Maryland and the Naval Academy.

The Hoyas lost to all three of these teams last year, but look to use this fall’s experience to change their fortunes in 2005.