GU Drops Two Games in Ohio to Open Year

Despite optimism heading into their season-opening tournament, the young Hoyas could not register a win against strong competition this weekend.

Saturday, Georgetown (0-2) lost 3-2 to Ohio (1-1), and Sunday they fell 4-0 to St. Louis (1-1) in the Ohio Invitational Tournament.

Against the Ohio Bobcats, the Hoyas fell behind 3-0 over the first 50 minutes, but fought back to make it a one-goal game. Sophomore forward Micaela O’Toole had an assist and a goal in the losing effort.

O’Toole sent a cross into the circle that senior forward Maggie Farrand put away in the 54th minute. A minute and a half later, O’Toole scored a penalty corner to cut the deficit to one.

Overall, the Bobcats took 25 shots to the Hoyas’ eight and attempted seven more penalty corners than Georgetown. Senior goalkeeper Dee Crovo kept the Hoyas in the game in the first half, making six saves. For the game, Crovo stopped 11 shots.

“Dee really stuck out today. She made some big saves and kept us in the game in crucial moments,” Head Coach Tiffany Marsh said in a press release. Attempts to reach Marsh yesterday were unsuccessful.

The Hoyas, whose 15-player roster features eight freshmen, started four first-years and had three freshmen come on as substitutes.

“I think for the first game we came out with a ton of energy against a really good team in Ohio,” Marsh said in the press release. “The freshmen stepped up and played a really big role today. The number-one thing was the energy they put forth from the get-go and that they weren’t nervous or intimidated.”

Before the weekend, both Marsh and Farrand said that the freshmen adjusted well to college field hockey in the preseason, and that this team is already a close-knit group.

The next day against St. Louis, the Billikens scored four times in a 25-minute period, starting at 21:16. St. Louis sophomore midfielder Natalie Gamez scored twice, and senior defender Christine Frampus recorded three assists. Frampus’ mark tied a St. Louis field hockey record.

“We played tremendously well as a team,” St. Louis Head Coach Marcie Boyer said in a press release. “This win is a big boost to the team and gives us confidence that we are a good team. We made some adjustments from our game yesterday, and they paid off today.”

The Hoyas were again outshot on Saturday, as their seven attempts lagged behind the Billikens’ 21. Of Georgetown’s seven saves, however, the Hoyas put five on goal. The Billikens’ goalkeeper-by-committee was up to the task, as sophomore Katherine Deem made three saves in the first half and freshman Alex LaBarge stopped two in the second frame.

Crovo made six saves for the Hoyas, and Farrand led the offensive attack as she put two of her three shots on goal. Georgetown again started four freshmen and played just one substitute in the game – freshman defender Bailey DeWitt.

James Madison (2-0) beat both Ohio and St. Louis to take the Ohio Invitational Tournament title.

Next weekend, the Hoyas will join the Georgetown volleyball team in North Carolina. Friday, the field hockey team will take on Davidson at 7 p.m., and Sunday they play North Carolina at 1 p.m.