Hoyas Compete Despite D.C. Protests

Novice Women Win at Columbia; Lightweight Men Struggle at Ithaca

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

Despite last-minute cancellations, the Georgetown women’s crew team had a successful weekend on the Harlem River at Columbia University. The men’s lightweight team also made a decent showing with a second-place finish at Cornell.

This weekend’s competition in Ithaca was planned after the George Washington Invitational Crew Classic Regatta, scheduled to take place on the Potomac last Saturday, was canceled due to safety concerns. Many of the teams entered in the regatta withdrew, anticipating disruption from the protests taking place at the World Bank and International Monetary Fund buildings this weekend. Given that the Hoyas have off next weekend, they accepted the Columbia women’s crew team’s invitation to compete in New York.

The novice lightweight eight-plus crew was victorious in its race against the University of Massachusetts by three seconds, crossing the finish line with a time of 7:16.37.

The varsity eight-plus squad finished third for the Hoyas, posting a time of 6:34.09. Columbia took first in the event, completing the course in 6:28.31, and Massachusetts crossed the finish line just behind the Lions, barely stealing second place from Georgetown with a time of 6:32.09.

Although the Hoyas were content with their fastest 2,000-meter time of the season, the race was not picture perfect.

“We’re not sure why we didn’t do better. It was a troubling race because there was no specific excuse to point to. The boat just wasn’t moving out as well as it normally does in practice. Something wasn’t right,” Georgetown Women’s Varsity Coach Jimmy King said. “[The varsity eight] has the potential to be very competitive in the sprint league and possibly have a shot at the NCAAs, but having and realizing potential are different things.”

In two weeks, the Hoyas look to win against Syracuse, last year’s winner at the Georgetown Invitational.

The Georgetown men’s lightweight squad traveled to Ithaca this weekend to experience Ivy League competition. The top finish from Georgetown came from the varsity eight-plus boat, which took second place over Cornell with a time of 6:37.04. Yale dominated the race, crossing the finish line at 6:23.72.

The second varsity eight-plus and both freshman squads all placed third in their events for Georgetown. Yale’s freshmen dominated their event, finishing over 20 seconds ahead of the Hoyas. Yale’s second varsity eight-plus squad won the event, this time by barely three seconds over Cornell. In the second freshman race, Cornell was victorious over Yale by five seconds, with a time of 6:57. The Hoyas crossed the finish line third at 7:13.13.

All of Georgetown’s crew teams will race on the Potomac River in the seventh annual Georgetown Invitational Regatta for Big East schools on Sunday, April 30.