After spotting the University of Maryland at Baltimore County three runs in the first inning, Georgetown was left playing catch-up for the whole game. Despite clubbing 14 hits and scoring nine runs, the Hoyas could not track down the Retrievers, who escaped Shirley Povich Field with a 10-9 win Wednesday.

UMBC senior Will Delawter started the game, going three and a third innings while only giving up two earned runs, and also went 3-for-4 at the plate. Delawter led the Retrievers (4-5) with three RBIs on a home run, double and single.

The Hoyas (5-8) played their third straight one-run game and dropped their fourth in a row. Sophomore centerfielder Tommy Lee went 4-for-6 for Georgetown and scored three runs, but the Hoyas’ bats went dry when the game was on the line.

Down two runs with the bases loaded and only one out in the eighth inning, the Hoyas flied out twice in a row and only pushed one more run across on a sacrifice fly. In the ninth inning, Georgetown had runners on second and third with two outs, but junior designated hitter Sean Baumann popped out to first base.

Freshman third baseman Sean Lamont, Baumann and senior left fielder Matt Harrigan each had two hits in the heart of the Hoyas’ lineup.

Junior right-handed pitcher Jimmy Saris suffered his third loss of the season after being roughed up in the first three innings of the game. Saris gave up seven hits and five earned runs while striking out three batters.

Georgetown’s bullpen was solid in the late innings to keep the Hoyas in the ballgame. Sophomore Jack Bender and senior Grady McConnell combined for three innings of one-hit ball, giving up only one run on an error and two sacrifice flies in the eighth. McConnell has pitched 7.1 innings of scoreless ball over three appearances this season.

Of Georgetown’s regular starters, Lee and Lamont have the hottest bats – hitting .377 and .354 on the year, respectively.

The Hoyas open Big East play today at Shirley Povich Field, as they play the first of a three-game series against Connecticut. The Huskies dropped their first six games, but they have won four of their last five and are on a three-game streak right now.

Georgetown finished last in the Big East in 2007 at 8-19. This season, the Hoyas were the unanimous pick by the coaches to finish in last place. Connecticut, picked to finish sixth, is led by freshman shortstop Pierre LePage, who is hitting .438 on the young season.

First pitch is set for 3 p.m. today, while the games Saturday and Sunday will begin at 1 p.m. and noon, respectively.