Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Freshman middle blocker Annie Connor and sophomore outside hitter Rachel Nelson converge to defend Georgetown’s side of the net.

It seems that all the women’s volleyball team needed to get on a winning track was a little home cooking – or at least some Leo’s cooking. The Hoyas played host to teams from William and Mary, Coppin State and Wake Forest this weekend, and came away with a winning record.

The Georgetown Hoya Classic kicked off Friday, with Georgetown emerging victorious from a tension-filled match against the Tribe of William and Mary. The Hoyas won 3-2 (30-27, 30-28, 27-30, 16-30, 15-6). It appeared from the outset that these two teams were evenly matched and were going to deliver an exciting showdown. Georgetown came out strong, and won the first two games in impressive fashion. The next game went narrowly to William and Mary. In the fourth game, the Tribe came out with energy and dominated, winning 30-16.

“They weren’t beating us. We were beating ourselves,” head coach Li Liu said.

This forced a fifth game, but the Hoyas were not going to see this match slip away. “The players decided that this was our game,” Liu said.

The Hoyas took the rubber game and ended the first day of the tournament with a victory.

The effort was led by junior middle blocker Sara Albert, who had a match-high 19 kills. Sophomore outside hitters Rachel Nelson and Ashley Lancaster had impressive totals with 17 and 16 kills, respectively. Lancaster just missed a double-double with nine digs.

Sophomore outside hitter Mandy Mayo led the Tribe with 12 kills and teammate Amy Owens, a junior setter, turned in a double-double with 10 kills and 13 digs.

On Saturday afternoon the Hoyas took on the Coppin State Eagles, and while the outcome was the same as Friday’s, the process was somewhat easier. The Eagles looked overmatched throughout the whole contest and the Hoyas won handily with scores of 30-22, 30-15 and 30-13.

When it became evident that Coppin State was not going to put up much of a fight, Liu took the opportunity to give some of her younger players time on the court. Freshman outside hitter Jen Fountain was impressive with a 53.8 kill percentage on the strength of seven kills. She also added four aces.

“The non-starters did a really good job. I’m happy about that,” Liu said.

The final match of the tournament pitted the Hoyas against the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest, who had looked strong all weekend. The Hoyas played them strong, but an undefeated weekend was not in the cards for Georgetown. The team fell to Wake Forest in three straight games (30-25, 30-23, 30-17).

Lancaster had a double-double in this match with 14 kills and 10 digs. Nelson added 12 kills and seven digs. Their efforts were not enough to overcome the Deacons.

However, the Hoyas did enjoy another victory on Saturday. For the second weekend in a row, Albert was named to the all-tournament team. This weekend she was joined by Nelson.

The weekend can be chalked up as a success for this young team. Not only did they post their first winning weekend of the year, they also continued to learn from experience.

“We’re focusing on the process,” Liu said. The coach added that the wins help, but the team is not concentrating solely on their win-loss record. Liu highlighted the things she wants her team to be focusing on, such as being more aggressive and making quicker movements to the ball.

The Hoyas play their next match at home against their local rivals, the George Washington Colonials. The match is Tuesday at 7 p.m. in McDonough Gymnasium.