Georgetown’s women’s volleyball team traveled down the Potomac on Tuesday night to take on local rival George Washington in its final tune-up before the start of Big East play. The Hoyas won in five games (30-27, 30-22, 26-30, 22-30, 15-10) and turned in what Head Coach Li Liu called the “best performance of the season.”

Georgetown came out and dominated the first two games with strong hitting and good passing. The third and fourth games were not as strong for the Hoyas, as they made more hitting errors.

“We could have just finished it in three games, but we didn’t,” Liu said.

The Hoyas did finish it out, but it took them a fifth game. Liu was quick to point out that the win was a complete team victory.

“I was enjoying watching them play because everything just clicked,” she said. “The whole team performance was really good. The thing about our team is that we don’t have individual stars.”

The Hoyas always seem to have a different player stepping up on any given night, and Tuesday was no exception.

Junior outside hitter Ashley Lancaster led the team on that night, notching 21 kills along with 15 digs for another double-double on the season. Senior middle blocker Sara Albert had another typically strong performance with 12 kills and six blocks.

Freshman Kate Nulty took charge of the libero position for the match against the Colonials and continued to contribute from the back row. Nulty had 16 digs on the night.

Passing has been an aspect of the game on which Liu has had her team concentrating hard. The Hoyas have set goals to improve their passing in recent matches, and Liu has seen her team’s extra work pay off.

“We have extra options when we get a good pass. It makes it easier for us to win,” she said.

Liu played college volleyball at George Washington, so it was something of a homecoming for her. She admitted that it is always exciting to go back and coach in front of former teammates, many of whom are still with the Colonials in some capacity or another.

“It’s nice to go back, but I was really anxious to win. Luckily our girls were on fire,” Liu said.

This was the final match before Georgetown starts its Big East schedule. The team will take an overall record of 11-6 up north when they take on the Eagles of Boston College.

Liu said she thinks her team is particularly well-prepared.

“I’ve been pushing them hard, both mentally and physically, but this was a great win for us and gave them a lot of confidence,” she said.

Georgetown will take on B.C. Saturday at 2 p.m. before traveling to Connecticut on Sunday for a full weekend of Big East action.