Citing increasing worldwide religious, ethnic and political disputes, Georgetown University’s government department announced its development of a new Master in the Art of Conflict Resolution degree. Applications for the program will be accepted on a rolling basis through May 31 for the fall semester.

“This new program reinforces Georgetown’s commitment to ethics, inter-faith dialogue, peace and reconciliation,” Provost James J. O’Donnell said in a press release. “I am pleased to see us building on our existing academic strengths and preparing students for a rapidly growing field.”

The program will consist of about fifteen students and classes will focus on three stages of conflict processes – origins of disputes, meditation and negotiation and post-conflict peacekeeping, according to the press release.

Students will examine the role of religion in conflicts, alternative dispute resolution, multiparty negotiations and third party interventions.

Lise Howard, research assistant professor, and Joshua Mitchell, chair of the government department and associate professor, will co-direct the program.

“As demand for specialists in conflict resolution increases, we are excited to leverage Georgetown’s key strengths and offerings to prepare students to succeed in this growing field,” Mitchell said.

Faculty from different fields including philosophy, theology, sociology, communication, business, law and foreign service will teach in the program.