GU Defense Shuts Down Providence Again

It’s a rough day to be a Friars fan.

Junior forward Hollis Thompson and senior guard Jason Clark scored 13 points apiece, and the No. 10 Georgetown men’s basketball team (20-5, 10-4 Big East) overcame a turnover-riddled offensive performance to beat Providence (13-15, 2-13 Big East), 63-53, Saturday night.

The win was Georgetown’s second in six hours over a Providence squad; the women’s basketball team had blown out the Friars at McDonough Arena earlier Saturday afternoon in the Hoyas’ Senior Day game.

The Providence men wouldn’t go down as easily, though. Despite a horrendous shooting performance, the hosts hung with the highly favored Hoyas throughout the game, even narrowing the lead to four at one point. For its part, Georgetown allowed the underdogs to hang around by turning the ball over 12 times in the uncharacteristically fast-paced game.

The Blue and Gray’s stifling defense and methodical offense eventually prevailed, however, as the visitors used a 13-3 second-half run to give themselves a cushion. Providence resorted to full-court man pressure to attempt to close the gap, but Georgetown picked apart the press for several easy buckets.

Providence sophomore guard and third-leading scorer Gerard Coleman missed the game with the flu, and Friar offense looked lost for much of the game. The hosts managed only 20 points in the first half and shot just over 25 percent from the field for the night. The Friars’ 53-point total was largely a result of a flurry of threes when the game’s outcome was all but decided.

Sophomore forward Nate Lubick had another solid game for the Hoyas, scoring nine points on 3-of-3 shooting, but was limited by foul trouble. Senior center Henry Sims filled up the box score with 10 points, seven rebounds, five assists and two blocks in the win.

Georgetown plays next at Seton Hall Tuesday night. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.