When Georgetown faced George Washington University last Sunday, the Hoyas had more than a cross-town rivalry on the line.

The Hoyas were on a six-match losing streak against the Colonials, with just two wins in the past twenty years. Their last victory came in 1998, and that too came after more than a decade.

But this time the Hoyas finished on top. Georgetown won a close contest, 4-3, with the singles’ matches being split equally and the Hoyas winning the deciding doubles point.

“This is undoubtedly an upset,” Georgetown Head Coach Rich Bausch said. “The team played wonderfully.”

Two of the Hoyas’ three singles’ victories came in three tight sets. Georgetown freshman Adrianne Gin defeated GW’s Michelle Alexander 7-5, 2-6, 6-4, and Hoya junior Kristin Dew beat the Colonials’ Anne Watkins in a tightly contested match, 7-6(4), 2-6, 6-3.

For the third victory, Georgetown sophomore Stephanie Cohen was awarded the match after her opponent Sandra Simunic, a junior, retired with a wrist injury. Cohen was up by a set at the moment that Simunic withdrew.

The three remaining singles’ matches went to the Colonials.

In the first doubles match, Winokur and Cohen lost 8-2, but the Hoyas bounced back in the remaining two matches to win the doubles’ point. Bartell teamed up with Gin to win a close match 9-8 (2), and Dew and Malouf combined to win 8-6.

The previous day’s match against Maryland was not so kind to Georgetown.

Last week Maryland shut out the men’s team 7-0. This past Saturday it was the women’s turn as the Terrapins blanked the Hoya women 7-0.

The Terps were coming from a two-match losing streak after facing Michigan and South Carolina, but those two defeats were soon forgotten as they came on court to face the Hoyas.

Georgetown freshman Elizabeth Winokur lost to Maryland sophomore arianne Baker, 6-1, 6-0. Maryland sophomore Masha Senic prevented Georgetown sophomore Sana Malouf from getting on the board in a 6-0, 6-0 win, and Maryland freshman Julia Graca defeated Georgetown junior Kristin Drew 6-1, 6-1.

While the score line suggests that the contest was one-sided, Bausch thought otherwise.

“Against a nationally ranked team we played well. There is no doubt about it that we did struggle, but the team did put in their best effort,” Bausch said. “The great thing about playing a nationally ranked team like Maryland is that it helps to sharpen the players up.”

Georgetown plays its second Big East match when it takes on St. John’s on Feb. 19 in Queens, N.Y.

“This match [against St. John’s] is crucial for our hopes for qualifying for the Big East conference championship,” Bausch said.