GU Comes up Short in Last Chance Before Big East Championships

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

Last weekend the Georgetown golf team tied for 14th place with an aggregate team score of 312 at the Princeton Invitational Tournament. Princeton was victorious in the event with a final score of 288. The tournament was shortened to 36 holes due to rain, marking the third-straight competition in which inclement weather has prevented the Hoyas from completing a tournament.

Sophomore Tristan Lewis shot a 75 to lead the Hoyas. Senior Todd Vender finished just behind Lewis with a score of 76. Senior co-captain Greg Koush fired an 80, and junior co-captain Dan Giraudo finished with a score of 81.

The Princeton Invitational served as the Hoyas’ final tune-up before traveling to the Big East Championships this weekend at Notre Dame. The Hoyas will face tough competition, but according to Head Coach Tommy Hunter, the team is ready to defend its title.

“We are looking forward to going out to Notre Dame. We’re going to play on our experience. We have a veteran squad. All the players know how to handle pressure situations, and we’re hoping that can bring the win home,” Hunter said.

Georgetown will also be vying for a chance at the NCAA tournament, as the 2000 Big East champion will receive an automatic bid for the first time in league history.