GU Catholic Programs Granted $6.9 Million

The Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Foundation of Los Angeles granted the university $6.9 million to support the development of Catholic programs in the Office of Mission and Ministry, a need-based scholarship for students from Jesuit high schools and greater recruitment and retention of Jesuit faculty members.

“Not only will this gift strengthen our world-class academic offerings and advance our mission and ministry programs, it will also advance our efforts to ensure that Georgetown remains accessible and affordable to all students through scholarship support,” University President John J. DeGioia said in a university press release.

According to the university press release, $5 million of the gift will be allocated for supporting Catholic programs on campus to deepen understanding of and increase participation in the Catholic and Jesuit traditions.

“Georgetown’s Catholic and Jesuit traditions are what distinguish the institution and keep it vital. We are honored to play a part in strengthening these core values and to help students, faculty and staff put their faith into practice during their time at Georgetown and beyond,” said Kathleen McCarthy, daughter of the late Leaveys and chair of the foundation.

The gift will also create a new position to provide greater religious and educational opportunities for members of the Georgetown community.

“With this gift, I will be able to expand the programs of the Office of Mission and Ministry and better serve our faculty, staff, students and alums. I couldn’t be more grateful for this transformative gift,” Vice President for Mission and Ministry Fr. Philip Boroughs, S.J. said.

$1 million of the gift will support a need-based scholarship for high school students matriculating into Georgetown from Jesuit schools, such as those eligible in the Cristo Rey Network of Catholic high schools in particular, according to the university press release.

The remaining $900,000 will be allocated to the Leavey Distinguished Jesuit Scholars Fund with the purpose of hiring Jesuit faculty members to continue to enhance the university’s academic programs.

The Leavey Foundation, named for the late Thomas Leavey (LAW ’23) and his late wife, has supported the university in the past, including the naming gift for the Leavey Center, support for a three-year visiting position as Leavey Chair in the Foundations of American Freedom within the department of government and the funding of a residence hall in the Southwest Quad, according to the university press release.

“[McCarthy] has been an extraordinary friend to Georgetown and with this gift continues a long legacy of Leavey family contributions to the university,” Boroughs said.