Give them beer and they will come.

That was the case on Saturday as a Homecoming crowd of 2,874 at Harbin Field watched the struggling Hoyas (2-4, 0-3 Patriot) unleash an offensive arsenal on the Virginia Military Institute Keydets (0-6, 0-0 Big South).

The Georgetown Hoyas shut out VMI 21-0 in the Hoyas’ first shutout since they blanked Iona on Sept. 2, 1999.

The win came behind junior running back Kim Sarin’s 180 rushing yards and senior quarterback Drew Crawford’s 188 passing yards.

“We needed to have this,” Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson said. “We are not done. The season doesn’t end until November 20. Our team still has a lot of fight left in it.”

The offense came out firing on its opening drive, going 65 yards in nine plays for the game’s first touchdown.

Crawford, who secured the Hoyas’ starting quarterback job this week, ran for the seven-yard touchdown, going 2-for-2 for 33 yards on the drive.

The defense picked up where it left off last week, forcing the Keydets to punt. The Hoya offense followed with a drive that brought more electricity to the capacity crowd.

The Hoyas drove to the VMI 28-yard line and employed some trickery. Crawford pitched the ball to Sarin, who lofted a pass into the end zone to wide open Janeiro Wooten to make the score 14-0.

“The corner was over-committing when we ran the ball. When the safety bit on the pitch, I just lobbed it in there,” Sarin said.

The Georgetown defense made a series of forceful stops and the offense grinded through time-consuming drives before the Hoyas struck again.

Faced with a difficult third-and-10 situation at Georgetown’s own 46-yard line, the snap flew over Crawford’s head.

Crawford picked up the ball, evading several tacklers, and launched it to junior tight end Glenn Castergine, who made the catch 50 yards downfield, dragging would-be tacklers into the end zone for the touchdown. Georgetown’s season-long touchdown from scrimmage sent the rowdy crowd into a frenzy and made the score 21-0.

From there, the defense took over. The Hoyas held VMI to only 30 yards rushing for the game, and a mere 156 total yards. Additionally, the Hoyas added another interception en route to the shutout.

“I don’t think people realize how good our defense is,” Benson said. “Our defense dominated today.”

The anemic offense of a week ago looked like a completely different unit, compiling 490 total yards. Georgetown went 10-for-16 on third downs, with 29 first downs. Perhaps the most encouraging statistic was the time of possession, in which the Hoyas doubled VMI’s, holding the ball for 41:13 to VMI’s 18:47, indicating a well-balanced attack.

Sarin quietly rushed for 180 yards, which is ninth best in Georgetown single-game history, and his 31 carries is third best in school history. In addition to running his way into the record books, Sarin threw the first touchdown pass of his career.

Crawford sparked the Hoyas’ offensive explosion, beginning the game 10-for-10 passing for 164 yards. Crawford finished 12-for-16 for 188 yards in the air with no interceptions. Benson said he thinks Crawford will be under center for Georgetown’s next game, against Monmouth.

“We have a good nucleus to this football team,” Benson said. “We are finally on the right path.”

The Hoyas have a bye this week and play at Monmouth on Oct. 23 at 1 p.m.