Georgetown continued its determined march back to the .500 mark by taking one game out of two against University of Maryland Baltimore County this past Wednesday.

The 6-4 win in the second game of the doubleheader was the Blue and Gray’s seventh in their past 10 games, and helped the Hoyas improve to 18-26 on the season. The victory over the Retrievers was the first time in school history the Hoyas beat UMBC.

Freshman centerfielder Aimee Moffat singled to drive in sophomore shortstop Samantha Peters and put Georgetown on the board in the top of the first, while junior rightfielder Christina Gallinari blasted a home run in the top of the second to put the Hoyas up 2-0.

But the UMBC offense came alive in the bottom of the fourth inning against freshman starter Melissa Conners, as the Retrievers organized five hits and managed to scatter three runs to take a 3-2 lead. But, in the top of the fifth the powerful Peters smashed a game-changing three run blast to give the Hoyas a 5-3 lead and control of the game. The three run bomb was Peters’ 11th home run of the season.

UMBC countered with a solo shot in the bottom of the sixth inning to cut the advantage to one, but a spectacular grab from Gallinari saved a run in right field. Sophomore first baseman Demetria Cipriano added a lead off home run in the top of the seventh for a two-run cushion, as the Hoyas went on to earn the win.

Conners scored her fifth collegiate victory, allowing four run on eight hits over 7.0 innings.

In the first game, Cipriano slugged a solo home run over the left field wall to put the Hoyas ahead by 1-0, but UMBC senior pitcher Ashley Gray hit a three run homer off sophomore Jennifer Connell to put the Retrievers up 3-1 in the bottom of the fifth.

However, the fight in Georgetown was still alive, and in the top of the sixth Peters led off with a single, and Moffat doubled to move Peters to third. Sophomore catcher Suria Bahadue grounded out, but still drove in Peters, and freshman designated hitter Jillian Webb followed with a clutch single to knot the score at three.

After the Hoyas left two runners stranded in the top of the ninth, UMBC freshman center fielder Lauren Brummell came to the plate with two outs and a runner on first when smashed a fly ball to left, which glanced off the Hoya outfielder’s glove, and dropped in for the Retriever victory, 4-3.

UMBC sophomore shortstop Jessica Vetock, who had reached on a fielder’s choice earlier, crossed the plate for the game winning run. Georgetown returns home this weekend to the friendly confines of Guy Mason Field, where they are 7-2 on season, for a couple of double headers against Longwood on Saturday and Mount St. Mary’s on Sunday.