GU Athletic Briefs

Swimming and Diving Teams Receive Academic All-American Honors

Georgetown’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams were named Academic All-American Swimming Teams by the College Swimming Coaches’ Association of America for the 1999 fall semester. In order to make the cut, the grade point average of the entire swimming and diving teams had to average at least a 2.8. The women were sixth out of 41 Division I female squads as they averaged a 3.361 GPA. The Hoya men ranked eighth of 35 Division I teams as they achieved a 3.139 GPA. This award marked the 11th consecutive semester that both Georgetown teams received the honor.

Football Team Releases Fall 2000 Schedule

The Georgetown football program released its schedule for next season, which includes three games against Patriot League opponents. This coming year the Hoyas will play independently as they will join the Patriot League in 2001. The football team will open the 2000 campaign on Sept. 9 against Patriot League member Holy Cross in one of six games at home. The Hoyas will also face future league rivals Fordham and Bucknell at home. The team will close out the season on Nov. 18 at Davidson.

Freshmen Men’s Heavyweight Crew Team Competes Against ichigan

The Georgetown men’s heavyweight crew team traveled to Ypsilanti, Mich., this weekend, winning only one of four races against Michigan.

The freshmen team brought home the only win for the Hoyas, defeating the Wolverines in a time of 6:11.54. Michigan crossed the finish line behind Georgetown at 6:16.88.

Georgetown’s varsity eight-plus squad finished second at 6:04.8, while Michigan posted a winning time of 6:01.1. The Hoyas’ second varsity eight-plus and second freshmen crew teams both placed third behind two Wolverine squads in their respective events. In the second varsity eight-plus race, the first-place team from Michigan finished with a time of 6:11.2. The second boat from Michigan followed closely, posting a time of 6:14.9 and Georgetown rounded out the race with a time of 6:21.6.

In the second freshmen race, the Wolverines again proved too quick for the Hoyas with Michigan taking first and second in 6:34.40 and 6:41.92, respectively. The Georgetown squad fell behind, finishing with a time of 6:56.04.

The Hoyas will next race on Sunday in the seventh-annual Georgetown Invitational Regatta for Big East Schools on the Potomac.

– Compiled by Eric Kim and Meredith McCloskey