Georgetown University appointed Christopher Joyce to be the university’s senior vice president, chief financial officer and treasurer effective last Monday, Jan. 6.

The responsibilities of his new post include overall management and organization of the university’s financial affairs.

“Strong leadership and innovative thinking are imperative in order to ensure the firm financial footing that will enable Georgetown University to achieve ambitious goals in the coming years,” President John J. DeGioia said in a broadcast e-mail. “I am confident that Chris will provide that leadership and vision.”

As the chief financial officer, Joyce will develop, implement and oversee financial policies, manage finance-related administrative services and lead the university’s efforts in identifying and implementing new sources of revenue, according to a Dec. 17 university press release.

Joyce said he plans to “assist Georgetown in maintaining and enhancing its competitive position, help the university identify and generate new sources of revenue to support the realization of its mission and the quality of its offerings [and] use finances as an enabler in achieving this mission.”

Joyce is looking forward to his new job at the university. “I have worked in a number of industries in my career – financial services, professional services, telecommunications – and have found changing industries to be a major growth experience,” he said. “The move to Georgetown represents an exciting and challenging opportunity. Also, Georgetown itself, as an institution competing in the top tier within its industry, adds to this challenge.”

“The search process for this position involved active participation by key university administrators and faculty leaders,” DeGioia said. “I appreciate very much the great care and consideration they gave to this important process. Their contribution has ensured the recruitment of a truly outstanding leader for Georgetown’s financial affairs at this time.”

Earnest W. Porta, Jr., served as acting vice president and treasurer since February 2002. With Joyce’s appointment, Porta, Jr. will return to his former role as assistant vice president and assistant treasurer through June 30, at which time he will leave the university to pursue doctoral studies, according to the broadcast e-mail from DeGioia.

“His leadership at this crucial time has been invaluable; we have been very fortunate to have the benefit of his talents and thorough knowledge of the university during this transition period,” DeGioia said of Porta, Jr. “I want to thank Earnie both for the past 15 years of service to Georgetown and for his generous commitment to assist the university’s smooth transition to our new CFO.”

Most recently, Joyce served as the chief financial officer at Cable & Wireless, Global. From 1980-99 he held several corporate and operating positions at AT&T, including vice president and chief financial officer of AT&T’s International Division, where he oversaw all of AT&T’s international efforts, including global traffic management, international operations and joint ventures and partnerships. In addition, Joyce had various domestic and international assignments with AT&T, including vice president and chief financial officer, chief information officer, AT&T Solutions; senior vice president and CFO, AT&T Universal Card; and executive director and CFO, AT&T Bell Laboratories.

Joyce worked as a management consultant for Coopers & Lybrand before joining AT&T. He began his career in the financial industry as a Branch Manager at General Electric Capital after serving in the U.S. Marine Corps. He holds a B.S. from Hofstra University and an MBA from Cornell University.