Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy says the Hoyas are excited for the upcoming season.

“They should be,” she joked. “It’s basketball season.”

Georgetown University women’s basketball won’t kick off its season for a few months, but the team’s schedule for the 2008-2009 season is already set.

The Hoyas open Big East play with a home game against Syracuse on Jan. 3.

Williams-Flournoy said the schedule appeared to be “pretty favorable” in terms of the balance between home and away games.

“I think every conference game is going to be a tough one,” Williams-Flournoy said.

The team finished its season last year with a record of 15-14, winning five out of 16 games against teams in the Big East Conference.

When asked how the team is looking to improve its game this year, Williams-Flournoy said, “We can make improvements in every area of the game that will benefit us. Overall improvement would be great for the team.”

“[The team] is a little more athletic than we have been in the past,” the coach said. Williams-Flournoy added that this might give the team an extra boost this season.

“We have seven freshmen. We have a very young team,” Williams-Flournoy said. Four forwards and three guards have joined the team this year in hopes of wearing the Georgetown blue and gray on the court.

Junior guard Meredith Cox, junior forward Jaleesa Butler and junior guard Shanice Fuller are the top three scorers from last season on this year’s roster. Williams-Flournoy said that the three juniors “played pretty good minutes” last season and will hopefully contribute this year.

Williams-Flournoy also said that predicting key players this early in the year is hard, but that the freshmen could contribute right away.

“We’re a young team, just eager and ready to get it started,” Williams-Flournoy said.

The Hoyas’ first game will be at Jacksonville State on Nov. 16, and they will face-off against Central Michigan on their home court in McDonough Gymnasium on Nov. 22.