Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Freshman middle blocker Annie Connor jumps to fend off a volley. Connor had a .439 hitting percentage against St. Peter’s.

This year, the women’s volleyball traveled near and far to compete in various early season tournaments. The Hoyas journeyed to James Madison, Sacramento State and even held their own invitational. The tournament circuit finally wrapped up this weekend in Philadelphia as the team competed in the Kaepa Temple Volleyball Classic. Georgetown came away from this last tournament with a 1-1 split and the Big East schedule looming ahead.

In the first match of the tournament the Hoyas took on the hosting Temple Owls. Temple dominated that match, defeating Georgetown 3-0 (30-20, 30-16, 30-16) behind a 30.8 kill percentage. iddle blocker Sara Albert and setter Margaret Vernon, both juniors, each put up five blocks for the match. None of the Hoyas broke double digits in kills as freshman middle blocker Annie Connor and sophomore outside hitter Rachel Nelson led the way with five kills apiece.

Xu Yun, a senior outside hitter for the Owls, more than doubled their totals, with 13 kills to go along with 11 digs.

The Hoyas turned things around on Saturday, beating the St. Peter’s Peahens in consecutive matches with scores of 30-20, 30-23 and 30-15. Sophomore outside hitter Ashley Lancaster, who has been a consistently strong player throughout the year, led the team with 10 kills to go with five aces and six digs. Nelson just missed double digits with nine kills along with six digs. Sara Albert continued her impressive play with eight kills in 15 attempts, without making a single error. Freshman Annie Connor continued to be a major factor in her team’s success contributing seven kills and three aces.

St. Peter’s top player for the match was sophomore outside hitter Tzvetomila Dotcheva, who had seven kills and four digs.

Saturday’s match was an overall solid performance by the Hoyas, who did not put up flashy statistics, but had everyone contributing. Head coach Li Liu said she intended to use the early-season tournaments as a learning process, and the even distribution of stats suggested the team has finally established how to work with one another on the court.

Albert continued the pattern of earning recognition for her outstanding play, as she was named to her fourth all-tournament team of the season. This past weekend, she was joined by teammate Julie Grauert, a junior libero who had seven digs in Saturday’s match.

This weekend’s split gave Georgetown an overall record of 4-9.

The Hoyas are now done with their tournament schedule and will turn their focus to Big East play. This week, the team prepares to take on rival Syracuse. Georgetown will travel to New York to take on the Orangewomen on Friday.