After Saturday’s season-opener, one might argue that Yale has a little more to brag about than just its boolah boolah. It has a pretty good football team, too.

In Georgetown’s third contest of the young season, the Hoyas (1-2, 0-1 Patriot League) suffered a thorough beating in a 47-7 loss to the reigning Ivy League runner-up at the famed Yale Bowl. The Bulldogs racked up nearly 500 yards of offense and forced three turnovers en route to the runaway victory.

“Poor, poorly played, poor execution,” Georgetown Head Coach Kevin Kelly said about the game.

The setback was GU’s second in a row after falling last week at Lafayette, 24-6.

Offensive ineptitude proved once again to be the Hoyas’ demise. Georgetown accumulated only 230 yards of total offense, and the team has yet to establish a consistent running attack.

Sophomore quarterback Keerome Lawrence tallied a team-high of 10 rushes for just 18 yards, and freshman Keion Wade led all halfbacks with a meager five rushes for eight yards. On the whole, 31 carries by Georgetown runners for 46 yards left the Hoyas with an average of just 1.5 yards for the entire Hoya ground game.

But Georgetown suffered its worst fate through the air as two of Lawrence’s passes were intercepted in the third quarter, helping seal the deal for the Bulldogs.

“I thought our effort was good, but we can’t continue to make the same mistakes again and again, especially against a good football team like Yale – you’re not going to win,” Kelly said.

Yale jumped on the board early after a 61-yard pass from senior quarterback Ryan Fodor to sophomore Jordan Forney set up a 21-yard touchdown pass with the same duo. On the ensuing drive, Georgetown captured a first down after a 14-yard completion from Lawrence to Wade, but on a third-and-one the Hoyas failed to convert and had to punt.

After trading possessions, Yale took over on its own six-yard line. With 4:34 to play in the first quarter, Yale ended a down-field drive with a 39-yard field goal.

Georgetown punted three times in the second quarter, but Yale didn’t take advantage until a crucial fourth-down scamper from sophomore quarterback Brook Hart set up a five-yard touchdown pass for the Bulldogs with 1:36 left in the first half.

Georgetown punted again after a short ineffective series, and Yale took over with 56 seconds left in the half. Three complete passes from Hart moved Yale to the 12-yard line, and with less than 10 seconds left, the Bulldogs tacked on a 29-yard field goal to make the score 20-0 heading into the break.

After exchanging possessions at the start of the second half, Georgetown made some noise when junior defensive end Chudi Obianwu forced a fumble that senior defensive end Nick Umar recovered. But Lawrence was intercepted by senior safety Steven Santoro, who returned it 32 yards to the Georgetown 13-yard line.

On the ensuing play, a pass from Hart to Forney made it 27-0, and on the next possession, a Lawrence pass attempt was picked off and returned for a 60-yard touchdown to increase the lead to 34-0.

“At 20-0, we were still in it, but those two plays back to back, they were backbreakers,” Kelly said.

Freshman quarterback James Brady led the next Hoya drive, and Georgetown got on the board after Brady went four of four and hooked up with senior wide receiver Kenny Mitchell for a 26-yard score.

Brady completed 15 of 25 passes on the day for 130 yards with a touchdown and an interception.

“We’re still going to use two quarterbacks, but how we use them might change,” Kelly said.

Yale added two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter to push the final score to 47-7.

“I think we just have to execute better on both sides of the ball,” junior cornerback Dennis Jackson said. “It also starts in practice, and we will be practicing a little bit harder and with a little more intensity.”

Luckily for the Hoyas, their first home game awaits Saturday.

Georgetown is one of only 11 Division I teams to start with such a late home opener. On tap are the Holy Cross Crusaders (0-2), coming off nail-biting losses to nationally ranked Massachusetts and reigning Ivy League champion Harvard. They will not be taken lightly.

“We can’t judge them by their record,” Kelly said. “Both games could have gone either way. They could easily be 2-0.”

Holy Cross beat Georgetown 55-0 last year. Kickoff is 1 p.m. at the Multi-Sport Facility.