The Georgetown Program Board is in negotiations to bring Dispatch, a self-described “tri-vocal funkcoustic instrument-swap groove” band to Georgetown in late March.

GPB Concerts Chair Justin Barra (COL ’02) confirmed yesterday that a bid had been placed with Dispatch’s manager, and GPB expects to have a decision from the band within a week.

Assuming confirmation, the concert is expected to take place in a tent on the Harbin patio. GPB was also responsible for bringing Wyclef Jean to campus last October for a concert in McDonough Gymnasium.

Dispatch (formerly known as One Fell Swoop) has been playing together since 1995 when the trio met while attending Middlebury College in Vermont. The band has always had a large following in New England, especially among prep school and small college students. Recently though, the band’s popularity has grown from coast to coast, and is has become immensely popular on the underground scene and on college campuses across the nation.

The band has recorded three albums to date, and has received radio airplay in several major cities including Denver, Philadelphia, New York and Boston. The band is currently recording its fourth studio album at London Bridge Studios in Seattle. According to the band’s Web site, the expected release date of the new album is May 15, and the concert at Georgetown will be a part of their spring tour of the East Coast in support of the new album.

Student response to the announcement has been positive.

“I think Dispatch will probably be one of the best bands to come to Georgetown in a long time.” Win Betteridge (COL ’04) said, “They’re really popular where I come from in the Northeast, and I’m glad they’re finally starting to get some recognition in other parts of the country as well.”

Joshua Pincus (COL ’04), who recently saw the band play at the Theatre of Living Arts in Philadelphia, said, “They’re a great live band, they play with a lot of energy and they really draw the audience into their shows.”

The Georgetown Program Board is responsible for planning a number of events on campus each semester. Currently it is responsible for the GPB Film series, which shows recently released films every weekend; the GPB Comedy series, which brings well known comedians to campus and other on-campus activities throughout the spring.

Other upcoming events include the Valentine’s Day Dance next Wednesday, “Kisses and Coffee” on Monday in Red Square and “Cosmic Bowling” on Friday. There will also be an open mic poetry night Tuesday evening.