TO THE EDITOR:

While the recent drunken behavior of some Georgetown students at Georgetown Program Board events is disappointing (“GPB Boosts Alcohol Checks,” The HOYA, Oct. 30, 3007 A1), it is unlikely that stricter enforcement procedures will change anything. These measures, like the university’s new alcohol policy and initiatives such as What’s After Dark, completely miss their mark by naively believing that it is possible to mitigate college’s inherent drinking culture.

For many students, the alternative programming events on weekends merely serve as ways to pass time before parties start or as fun places to go following a healthy pre-game. Rather than lessen alcohol consumption, the least these events can do is postpone it or provide a time to sober up for those who are determined to drink.

Banning students from bringing alcohol into GPB or What’s After Dark events is reasonable, but it will not stop anyone from showing up intoxicated. By no means am I arguing that students should be given a breathalyzer test in order to gain entry into campus events, because that would only result in plummeting attendance at weekend events (and many are sparse enough as it is).

Rather, the university needs to accept that drinking is going to occur regardless of what it does and refocus its events on creating a safe environment for those who drink as well as those who do not. If alternative programming fails to accomplish its stated goals, the university should above all reconsider its investments and reallocate its time and resources elsewhere.

Paul Liebeskind (COL ’08)

Nov. 1, 2007