GPB Announces Potential Spring Concert Picks

Approximately 1,300 students have voted for the spring concert’s headline artist since the Georgetown Program Board launched an online poll Thursday night.

Voters could rank five electronic dance music artists — Afrojack, Alesso, Axwell, Bassnectar and Steve Aoki — and the winner of the poll will likely be the headliner at the spring concert tentatively scheduled for April 5 in McDonough Arena. Wiz Khalifa headlined the concert last year.

“I think it’s going to be great for us to have electronic artists this year. I think that’s really where music is going. These are the people that are headlining the big festivals and selling out the biggest arenas right now,” GPB Concerts Chair William Henderson (MSB ’14) said. “We’ve done hip-hop or pop acts for the past four to five years at least, so we thought it would be nice to bring an electronic artist.”
The GPB does not poll students every year. In past years, polls have been ineffective when the artist chosen by students was unable to perform, according to Henderson.

“This year, we had the opportunity where whoever won that poll was definitely going to be brought in, so I thought it was worth it to get the students involved,” he said.

Henderson said he hopes to announce the artist in the next few weeks.

Tickets are subsidized and will cost less than $20 for students. The concert usually costs more than $100,000, less than half of which is covered by ticket sales. The rest of the concert is paid for by GPBand other cosponsors, according to Henderson. Last year, the Senior Class Committee and What’s After Dark cosponsored.

The spring concert’s ticket price will not be announced until all contracts are finalized.

“[Ticket price] will, of course, depend on the cost of the concert, which includes artists, staging and lighting,” GPB Chair Tyler Simpson (COL ’13) said. “The tickets do not cover all the costs, so the tickets are actually subsidized. It’s just kind of looking at expected revenue and then costs. Money can be made from contributors’ looking at what we can charge students, but we do try to keep that costlow.”