GOLF: Hoyas Swing Into Form

The Georgetown golf teams picked up play this weekend after a long winter. The sudden change in weather brought out a renewed Hoya unit, one that has succeeded in their initial tournaments.

The men’s team, coached by Thomas Hunter, is led by its captains, junior Trevor Matese and senior Vincenzo Salina. Both golfers played at last weekend’s William and Mary Invitational, but sophomore Brian Dorfman shined, placing 17th in the midst of some stiff national competition. Dorfman shot 1-over par, helping the Hoyas to an 11-over par day. Brandon Ellis, Brad Cadigan, Taylor Hall and Salina all placed in the top 75.

The men are currently preparing for the Lacrosse Homes Invitational this weekend at Prospect Bay Golf Club in Graysonville, Md.

The women tied for sixth place out of 22 teams in the same event, also known as the C&F Bank Intercollegiate. The Hoyas ended the event with a 23-over par in their final round.

The women’s team is in the midst of a youth movement, with five freshmen leading the program. The team has just one senior, Robyn English, on its roster. Freshman Katie Skinner had her best event as a Hoya, finishing in 16th place with a 3-over par in the final round of play. Two of the other freshmen, Simone Strauss and Audrey Dalton, finished in a tie for 22nd place and a tie for 78th place, respectively.

The team prepares for its own event, called the Hoya Invitational, played at Four Streams in nearby Beallsville, Md. The event begins Monday, March 29, and will be the Hoyas’ final tournament before they travel to Florida in early April.

For both teams, who are just getting back into form this spring, the Big East Championships are fast approaching, as they begin on April 18 in Tampa, Fla. “