Homecoming is tomorrow.

That’s pretty much all I have to say about it. I just feel like I probably would be remiss not to mention the Homecoming extravaganza in a sports column that will run the day before the actual game.

So there it is, I mentioned it.

I mean, what would I really have to say about Homecoming, anyway? Would it not be a little redundant to tell you all to – just this one time – get out there, support the team and go to a game?

But there’s no point in my saying that.

I know that you all are going to the game. You have cleanly pressed your pastel shirts for their last hurrah of summer. Everybody has been talking about Homecoming all week like it’s the season premiere of “The OC.” (And there’s nothing wrong with talking about the countdown you have until Nov. 4. I’m looking forward to “The West Wing” on Oct. 20, and I have no shame.)

Anyway, I know that everybody is going to the game, so I can’t even take the moral high road and encourage Joe Hoya to get out there, support the troops and cheer on the football team.

Plus, if I were really going to get into talking about Homecoming, I’d much rather make petty commentary about how little football is actually watched and how much beer is actually consumed – and I’m talking about the alums, too. Even they get all wild, despite the fact that they’ve promoted themselves from Busch Lite to wine coolers.

But for the average Georgetown student, they’re not planning a paint-your-face-blue-and-gray, cheer-your-brains-out game. They’re trying to finagle Wagner’s into letting them pick up a keg at 8:30 a.m.

But since it’s Homecoming, and a whole bunch of parents and alumni will be in town and quite possibly reading this distinguished newspaper, it would be completely irresponsible of me to talk about the seven-hour blur that will guide our student body around campus between mimosas and the second half of the game.

If I did want to talk about tailgating, for example, I would probably say something about how absurd it is that one could come up with 700-odd words about it.

At a football school – and that is not to say that I don’t love Georgetown and even Georgetown’s football team, because I do – you couldn’t write a column about tailgating . it’s just what people do. It would be like writing about how neat it is that everybody was working hard to study for their LSATs or how there’s this great sandwich called the Chicken Madness that everybody has been really into lately. You just don’t write about it.

But here, for one weekend, Georgetown becomes normal . and we spare no expenses. Back out in that far-off land referred to as the Midwest, I have friends that tailgate for away games and think nothing of it. Saturday in and Saturday out it’s absolute camaraderie, debauchery and team spirit.

On Saturdays at Georgetown, on the other hand, the student body walks out of its way to avoid Harbin Field on the way to the library.

So instead of spreading it out over the fall season, or even a half-dozen home games, we try to cram it all in like upperclassmen studying for a CPS midterm. Only at Georgetown could students find a way to turn McDonough Parking Lot into the Hilltop’s version of Foxfields.

But that is neither here nor there, because writing about Homecoming would serve no purpose. I know that everybody is going. I know that football is going to be a low – albeit higher than normal – priority.

I also know that it’s one of the few chances we get each year where we meet people we’ve heard of and greet people we’ve missed. It’s a day where we can talk about all of the changes that have been made at Georgetown over the years, and a day when we realize that in just a few years or a few months, Georgetown has changed us, too.

Homecoming is a day where everybody feels that twinge of Georgetown pride, even if it’s just at noon when the clock tower rings or when you see a group of B-frat guys doing a keg stand.

Underneath all of the watered-down beer and blue and gray sweatshirts, maybe there is something to Homecoming that doesn’t deserve a little light-hearted mockery. And that might just be worth writing about.

Erin Brown is a senior in the School of Foreign Service and a contributing editor for The Hoya. She can be reached at brownthehoya.com. Running The Option appears every Friday.