I was worried about whether or not the Hoya, Hoya Saxa would come out this past Homecoming weekend.

And while maybe it didn’t necessarily materialize by the sidelines of the game, it felt good to see that the dear old blue and gray is still alive and well.

One of the reasons that school spirit seems surprisingly prevalent can be attributed to the hard work of Hoya Blue.

Every year, some columnist or editorial in The Hoya lambastes Hoya Blue for being completely negligent, absent from their duties, ineffective or uncreative.

Over the past week, however, the leadership in the school spirit club has organized two events that really connect with Georgetown students and Georgetown fans.

The first included a film screening of the highlights of the 1984 championship season in the Village C Alumni Lounge.

That says something about a new way of thinking for Hoya Blue. It could be a theme that could be pursued all season: We did it with JT, and we can get back there with JT3.

It was a creative way to reach out to Hoya fans who are itching to see some good college basketball. And it’s a different kind of initiative than the typical, while still valuable, cookouts and road trips.

Hoya Blue also stepped outside the box with the open invitation to watch the Sox-Yankees game with a group of our fellow classmates.

While that may not be exactly a Hoya sporting event, in a way, it is. It’s a bunch of Hoya fans getting together and bonding over sporting events. Connections are made, memories are shared, and we get even more excited about the bus trips to MCI Center.

For the first time in too long, I am excited to see Hoya Blue putting its face on campus just as Midnight Madness approaches our door.

The only problem, however, is that Midnight Madness isn’t in our faces.

Hoya Blue can’t rely on guhoyas.com or a godforsaken mass email list to advertise what should be one of the most anticipated events of the basketball season – especially when this basketball season is actually one to look forward to.

I wish I saw giant banners hanging from every dorm. I wish that the campus had turned into a walking bulletin board. I would have even been happy with blue chalk residue on my shoes from all of the messages scrawled on the sidewalk.

But since all I got was an e-mail to the entirety of gustud, I’ll do my best to get the word out myself.

First and foremost, Midnight Madness is fun. It’s one of the few times other than commencement and an occasional concert that you will ever go into McDonough Gymnasium. The place is packed, everybody is wearing the school colors and screaming the fight song and the house really does roar.

The events that make up Midnight Madness are, in and of themselves, pretty entertaining. See your fellow students take on the faculty is what is always a haphazard but hilariously sloppy basketball game. Wonder about who is under the Jack the Bulldog costume. Win a prize or two – or at least a Midnight Madness T-shirt. See the dance and cheerleading teams put on routines they’ve been working on since the first day of school.

For me, the most exciting part is seeing the new players handle the ball, even if it is just for a few minutes doing layups or during the three-point contest.

See Roy Hibbert, who you know you’ve seen and are pretty sure you’ve heard about.

See how the point guard situation looks without Matt Causey.

What I’m looking forward to most is seeing freshman Jeff Green. Every time I’ve heard anything about him – from his teammates to fans who saw him play in the summer league – they’ve said that he’s absolutely sick, and could be the one to watch this year.

I am in no way criticizing Hoya Blue. I am honestly excited about their efforts this year, and have every finger crossed that they’ll continue to sponsor creative and exciting events for the Georgetown student body.

Just please keep it up. Do not let the apathy about Midnight adness be a portent for the season to come.

I want to hear the cheer of the Hoya, Hoya Saxa this year.

I want to leave behind those old Hoya blues.

Erin Brown is a senior in the School of Foreign Service and a contributing editor for The Hoya. She can be reached at brownthehoya.com. Running The Option appears every Friday.