Sure, some might say that Georgetown’s men’s basketball schedule, released by the athletic department Monday, is weak. To all those people, though, I have a humble suggestion: go through the schedule, day-by-day, and take each matchup one game at a time. The Hoyas follow tradition in the early going with two exhibition games at McDonough Arena before the real games start. The first game, against the U.S. Army/Fort Hood team, promises to be scary, if only because it is on Halloween evening. Think about it: do you really want to go up against the Army that day? It has a long and glorious record of beating groups in costume. (Incidentally, Georgetown’s game costume will have to change yet again this year to comply with a new NCAA rule banning uniform trim of more than one color. I’m sure Nike isn’t too disappointed). Georgetown follows up with an exhibition encore against ZTE Hungary. The next week features the Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament, where the Hoyas will play two big-name opponents at Madison Square Garden. They open with the Temple Owls Nov. 10 and will square off with either Wake Forest or Illinois the next evening. Look for these games to go a little bit quicker than normal; as “exempted” games, the NCAA will be experimenting with a rule that does not allow teams to take full time outs in addition to the infinite number of TV timeouts. These games, though, are just warmups. Georgetown opens MCI Center play with a Nov. 15 game against Hartford. No, not the Whalers. Not UConn, the No. 1 team in the country that often plays in Hartford (and will face Georgetown twice this year in Big East play). The Hawks finished 15-12 last season in the America East Conference, home to perennial lacrosse powers Hofstra and Towson State. This is followed by a Nov. 18 visit to the Georgia Dome, where Head Coach John Thompson continues his 1980s revival tour against old buddy Lefty Driesell. The dome seats over 71,000, so it’s safe to say that a few decks might be closed off for this one. Following a home game against Grambling State, which might be worth attending just to see if their basketball uniforms are as hideous as the football version, the next line of the schedule reads, “Nov. 24, Indiana-Purdue.” This has endless possibilities . will the opponents be wearing red sweaters or gold ties? Will Gene Keady decide to get even and throw a chair at Bobby Knight from three feet away? Wait. You mean this is not an all-star team from the two Big Ten powers? ore accurately, the Hoyas are facing IUPUI, which stands for Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis. I’d love to tell you who their star player is, but I can’t . there is not much information out there on Division II commuter schools with a nickname of “Metros.” (Over the Thanksgiving holiday, keep your eye out for Georgetown vs. Princeton, North Carolina, Duke or Villanova. And if you don’t get the Classic Sports Network, call your cable company or satellite provider.) Next up is Bethune-Cookman, which fought its way to a 1-25 record last season. The interesting catch: Georgetown will hit the road and play this game at Moore Gym, which will be filled with several raucous fans just waiting to heckle the Hoyas. Following a game against the perennial Georgetown sacrifice, Morgan State, Rutgers comes to town to begin the obligatory portion of the schedule, otherwise known as the Big East. This is followed by pre-Christmas stocking stuffer University of Maryland-Eastern Shore, which fared much better (9-18) than Bethune-Cookman in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. The post-Christmas schedule is made up of 17 Big East games; the Hoyas give the campus a Valentine’s weekend treat with a game at McDonough against Southern on Feb. 13. The Big East is always grueling, especially on the road. This year, Georgetown does not encounter as many large arenas as in the past; games against Connecticut and Pittsburgh have been moved into McDonough-like on-campus venues, which will make the road even less welcome for Georgetown. With the exception of the Jan. 25 ESPN Big Monday game against UConn, the MCI Center will be very lonely unless the Hoyas prove themselves. So there is my humble analysis, but something seems to be missing. Patrick Hruby, your favorite Hoya Sports columnist, has moved on to grad school at place he always made fun of: good old Northwestern. So, Hruby, where are you placing your money on the Hoyas’ season? “I guess Athletes in Action, Marathon Oil and the Washington Generals were all booked up. At least we’re not taking on wheelchair teams – yet.