Georgetown’s Diamond Woes Continue

By Mike Hume and Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writers

The slide continues as the Georgetown baseball team dropped two games this week to Navy and Brown, extending their losing streak to five and dropping their record to 10-20 (1-11 in their last 12 games).

The Hoyas’ pitching spelled their undoing in both contests. Georgetown held the lead twice, 2-0 through the second and 6-5 after the sixth, but they could not keep the Midshipmen down. After sophpmore Eric Sutton made his seasonal debut on the mound, giving up only two hits and not allowing a run after two innings of work, Navy brought their guns to bear on Patrick Salvitti.

The Midshipmen took the lead 5-2 after knocking Salvitti from the game after two-thirds of an inning with a barrage of timely hitting.

The Hoyas’ offense stayed strong, however. Georgetown battled back behind freshman Matt Carullo’s 3-for-5, two runs, one RBI day at the plate to take a 6-5 lead in the sixth on a single by freshman Jason Boice.

Paul Perillo, who came on to relieve Salvitti in the third, could not hold the lead, allowing two run-scoring doubles in the bottom of the inning to leave the margin at 7-6. Navy would add an insurance run on a home run by Tony Moore in the eighth.

Offensively the Hoyas performed well, tallying six runs on 12 hits. Carullo and infrequent starter Keith Asato (2 for 4, 3 RBI) provided most of the punch while junior Brian Cassese chipped in with two hits and two runs scored.

The strong offensive performance carried over to Thursday’s match against Brown, but so did the poor pitching as Georgetown lost 12-9. The Hoyas kept on the Bears’ heels early in the game entering the sixth only one run behind at 3-2.

Brown then sent seven around the bases, while Georgetown answered with only four. Junior Jay Catalano had a three-RBI double cutting the Bears’ lead to 10-6 in the bottom of the sixth.

“You should be able to win a game if you score nine runs … They’re a team we need to be able to beat. When they come to our park, we should be able to beat them,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said about the Bears.

The abundance of walks and batters hit by pitches gave the Bears 12 free base runners, which pretty much handed over the win to Brown.

“You could have given that to a little league team and they would have won,” Wilk said.

“We didn’t pitch well. That dictated the whole afternoon,” Wilk said.

Sophomore P.J. Martinez took the loss for Georgetown, allowing seven earned runs off five hits through 5 1/3 innings.

Leading the Hoyas’ in batting was senior Josh Corman with two hits and two runs scored.

“He’s swinging the bat really well right now,” Wilk said. Sutton and Cassese also aided the offense, each with two hits.

Georgetown will play host to conference rival Seton Hall for three games this weekend. The Hoyas, 0-6 in the Big East after two bad weekends on the road against Rutgers and Pittsburgh, will need to improve defensively against the Pirates, who are 1-2 in the Big East, 13-8 overall.

“We better get our house in order in a real hurry,” Wilk said.

Related Links

Box Score vs Navy (L, 6-8)-Box Score vs Brown (L, 9-12)-Baseball Statistics-Baseball Schedule