Georgetown Women Trounce St. John’s

By Sean Gormley Hoya Staff Writer

The women’s tennis team had a solid weekend, beating Big East rival St. John’s by a convincing 7-2 margin, followed by a rainout against Virginia Commonwealth. The men’s team was not so fortunate as to get a rainout, and its losing ways continued with loses to Pennsylvania and St. John’s.

The women took down St. John’s 7-2 on Saturday, a dominating performance that raised their 1998-99 record to 7-9. The Hoyas started off strong against the Red Storm, winning singles No. 1 through No. 5. Senior captain Erin Kamemoto dominated her opponent 6-0, 6-0, barely breaking a sweat en route to victory. No. 1 Lucky Ravindra followed up with a solid 6-4, 6-2 victory, followed by another straight sets victory by her sister, Sarada, 6-2, 7-6.

Sophomore Megan Crotty won 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2, and junior Missy endes clinched the match with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 victory at No. 5. The Hoyas dropped No. 6 singles and No. 1 doubles, but the duo of Sarada Ravindra and Crotty along with that of Kamemoto and Mendes won to seal up the impressive 7-2 victory.

The Hoya men traveled to Penn on Saturday, only to return with a shutout loss, 7-0, to the Quakers. The men won only eight games in three doubles matches to start off with a 1-0 deficit. The singles matches did not bring any relief for the Hoyas, as only freshman Nick Sklavounos and senior Justin Hom were able to claim a single set, at No. 2 and No. 5, respectively.

The Hoyas put up more of a fight on Sunday against St. John’s, dropping the match 4-3. The Hoyas started off by earning the doubles point with a couple of hard fought doubles wins. Junior Dave Boyer and freshman Ken Jordan rallied from down 4-2 en route to a 8-4 victory, while Hom and sophomore Chris Thompson won 9-7.

However, the Red Storm fought back by winning singles No. 1 through No. 4, dropping only one set to the Hoyas versus Justin Berman at No. 1. These four points sealed the victory for St. John’s, but the Hoyas continued to fight, as junior Beau Brewer won 6-4, 6-2 at No. 5, and Hom won 6-4, 6-4 at No. 6.

The women battle Bloomsburg and Penn this coming weekend, looking to return to .500 for the first time since the fall. The men look to turn around their season this week with matches against American, Hampton, Duquesne and Bloomsberg.