WOMEN’S TENNIS Georgetown Women Take Towson 7-0 By Jason Del Rey Special to The Hoya

On Saturday, Oct. 20, the Georgetown women’s tennis team, bouncing back from last weekend’s 0-3 showing at the ECAC Invitational, blanked Towson University 7-0 in the Baltimore-Washington Challenge in Towson, Md. The men’s team was also in action this weekend, with a solid showing at the 2001 Army Invitational in West Point, NY from Oct. 19 through Oct. 21.

The women soundly trounced the Towson squad, winning every singles and doubles match, while only dropping a single set. The Hoyas jumped out to an early team lead by taking the doubles point with three straight victories.

“All of the doubles matches were back and forth close battles but we managed to pull through in all of them,” assistant coach Kevin Rieder said.

The No.1 doubles tandem of sophomores Jordan Botjer and Chelsea Kammerer led off the onslaught with an 8-6 triumph. At No.2 doubles, freshmen Lydia Bartell and Liora Gelblum battled to an 8-5 win, locking up the team’s double point. With the team score already in favor of the women Hoyas 1-0, the No.3 duo of freshman Trina Snow and sophomore transfer Stephanie Sutton closed out the doubles competition with an emphatic 8-4 victory.

In the singles bracket, Gelblum, Botjer, Snow, Sutton and senior Caroline Marshall all recorded straight set wins. Gelblum, already enjoying a sensational freshman season, posted a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No.1 singles to improve her record to 10-1.

The women face UMBC at home Wednesday.

At the Lichtenberg Indoor Tennis Center at the U.S. Military Academy, the Georgetown men competed in an individual competition against top players from Army, Cornell, Lehigh, Marist, St. Bonaventure and St. John’s. The Hoyas sent out seven players in singles play, and three teams in the doubles competition. This event did not have any team scoring.

In a tournament that “emphasized singles competition,” according to head coach Rich Bausch, the Hoyas were led by senior captain Ken Jordan who battled through to the C Draw Consolation Final before falling in the final in a three set heartbreaker.

Georgetown also received solid performances from freshmen Aaron Shumaker and Ryan Peisel. Shumaker reached the semifinal round in the C flight before “running out of gas” in a three set loss against Marist, Bausch said. Peisel recorded two victories in the D flight before faltering in the semis against Rutgers.

“In Ryan’s second match against Marist, he lost the first set in an hour and a half, only to come back and take the last two sets. It was a great mental victory,” coach Bausch said. But like Shumaker, Peisel just did not have enough left in his tank to reach the finals.

Without the benefit of a backdraw in the doubles competition, the Hoyas failed to notch a victory, losing two matches in Flight A and their one match in Flight B.

The Hoya men close out the 2001 season next weekend at the ITA Regional Singles and Doubles Competition held at Princeton University.