Georgetown Women Take Seventh at ECACs

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

This past weekend, the women’s indoor track and field team ran to a seventh place finish in the 1999 Eastern College Athletic Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Georgetown finished the two-day competition at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center in Boston with 30 points, far behind first place George Mason who ran away with the title with a total of 101 points.

Runner-up Pittsburgh was a distant second with 70.5 points and West Virginia rounded out the top three with 62.5 points.

Georgetown had its strongest showing over the weekend in the distance events. The Hoyas captured their sole first place finish at the championships in the distance medley with a dominating performance. The all-junior team of Lisa Roder, Carron Allen, Katrina DeBoer, and Autumn Fogg outdistanced the rest of the field with a time of 11:13.60. Their closest competition, second-place Brown, finished the race over 30 seconds later with a time of 11:44.28.

In the women’s 3,000-meter run, junior Kathleen Linck ran a close race, finishing in third place with a time of 9:35.95, only a couple seconds behind Villanova’s Kristen Nicclini, who won the event with a time of 9:33.25.

Georgetown also had a strong showing in the women’s 5,000-meter run. Linck again ran a great race, taking second-place with a time of 16:59.10. In addition, Hoya sophomore Katie Pierce took eighth place with a time of 17:29.02.

The Hoyas also earned points in the Women’s 4-x-400 Meter Relay. Last year, Georgetown set the meet record in the event with a time of 3:37.08. Unable to outdo last year’s team, juniors Katrina Deboer and Carron Allen and sophomores Nickay Penado and Sasha Spencer ran to a time of 3:42.33 and a fourth-place finish.

This weekend, both the women’s and men’s indoor track and field teams will compete in the NCAA Championships in Indianapolis.

It will be a hectic weekend for the men who will fly immediately from Indianapolis to Boston, where they will attempt to win their seventh straight title at the 78th Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America meet.