It was a mediocre start to what Hoya tennis fans hope will be a season of improvement.

The Georgetown women’s tennis team dropped three matches to start its spring season at the VCU 4+1 Invitational this weekend with a score of 1-3. Like the men’s team last weekend, the women were swept by host Virginia Commonwealth 4-1, and East Carolina University 4-0. The team was more successful against Campbell University with a near-win (2-3), and even succeeded in defeating Drexel 4-1.

Though the Hoyas suffered a bad loss in the first match of the tournament against ECU, the sophomore women fought back when Liz Winokur defeated Scarlet Alfonzo 6-1, 6-2. Sophomore pair Stephanie Cohen and Adriann Gin finished the competition with ECU in a close match against Liza Bensimon and Stacey Batkiewicz 6-4, 7-6(2).

The Hoyas also overwhelmed Drexel from the start of the final day of the tournament. Sophomore Cohen snatched the match from Emily Lewis 6-1, 6-1 while junior Eileen Boyle edged out a win against Hana Stecova after three intensive matches 6-7(5), 6-2, 10-5. Senior Kristin Dew played consistently, taking the No.4 singles match against Kristy Pohn 6-4, 6-4. Freshman Lauren Bakios also took down the first of three sets against Drexel’s Jimee Wylie by 6-2 but the rest of the three sets slipped through her hands to Drexel 6-1, 10-3. Freshman pair, Natalie Newman and Taylor artin also managed a decisive win against Mellissa Lewis/ Ashley Doriss 6-1, 6-0.

Against Virgina Commonwealth, a team ranked at No.49, only freshman Taylor Martin had enough luck to gather a win in an intense match against Anne Shelton at No.4 singles 7-6(4), 5-7, 10-7. Winokur, Newman, Olsen and the sophomore pair, Cohen and Gin, all lost by considerable points.

The Hoyas’ next matches are the men’s tournaments against Maryland-College Park and Cornell this weekend on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.