By Arianne AryanpurHoya Staff Writer

Georgetown recently welcomed several new appointees to top university positions, including a new chief of staff, a new dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, a board chairman of the Institute for the Study of Diplomacy and a new librarian.

University President Jack J. DeGioia’s new chief of staff is Stewart McLaurin. In a recent press release, DeGioia said he was “confident that Stewart’s impressive ability to manage complex issues and to work collaboratively to advance projects will be an asset to our community.”

McLaurin served as Elizabeth Dole’s chief of staff at the American Red Cross from 1996 until he left to come to Georgetown. Before working with Dole, he worked as the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center’s manager of public affairs. He also served as an executive assistant to former Secretary of Energy Admiral James D. Walkins and, during the Reagan Administration, worked as a public liaison coordinator for the White House Conference on Small Business. McLaurin has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Alabama in History and Political Science.

McLaurin’s responsibilities as chief of staff will include working with people throughout the Georgetown community – from faculty to students to administrators. He will also oversee all aspects of work done in the Office of the President.

On June 12, Georgetown announced the appointment of David W. Lightfoot as the dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Former University President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J., said in a press release, “David’s commitment to excellence in teaching and research is clear, and his plans to enhance our support of graduate teaching fellows and faculty research are persuasive.”

Lightfoot comes to Georgetown after serving as a professor of linguistic science and chair of the Department of Linguistics at the University of Maryland, College Park. Before his time at the University of Maryland, Lightfoot served at the University of ichigan, McGill University and the University of Utrecht in the Netherlands. He has held visiting appointments at universities throughout the world and published eight books and over 60 articles or book chapters.

Lightfoot earned his master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Michigan, and his bachelor’s degree from the University of London, King’s College.

Ambassador Thomas R. Pickering is Georgetown’s new Board Chairman of the Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, which is part of the university’s School of Foreign Service. He succeeded Ambassador Max M. Kampelman, who held the position for seven years and will now be the Institute’s chairman emeritus.

“Tom Pickering brings to the Institute chairmanship vast experience in the shaping and conduct of American foreign policy. His unparalleled record as a foreign policy professional will add to ISD’s ability to act as the primary window of the School of Foreign Service on the world of the foreign affairs practitioner,” Institute Director Casmir Yost said in a press release.

Pickering’s predecessor, Ambassador Kampelman, strongly supported the Institute’s choice, “We went for the very best. I can think of no one more qualified than Tom Pickering to guide the Institute as it seeks to impart the lessons of past diplomatic practice and anticipate future requirements.”

Ambassador Pickering is a career ambassador, the highest personal rank in the U.S. Foreign Service. During Clinton’s second administration, Pickering served as the under secretary for political affairs, the highest position held by career foreign service officers in the State Department. During the course of his career, which spanned five decades, he served as ambassador to Jordan, the Russian Federation, El Salvador, India, Israel and Nigeria. Pickering received the Department of State’s Distinguished Service Award in 1996 and the Distinguished Presidential Award in 1986 and 1983.

Pickering earned his undergraduate degree at Bowdoin College and his master’s degree at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University.

Artemis G. Kirk is Georgetown’s new university librarian. Kirk will be in charge of all of Georgetown’s main campus libraries, including Lauinger Library, Bloomer Science Library, the Classroom Education Technology Service and the University Arts Collection. She will have to steer these institutions through the first two years of the “Georgetown Forever” capital campaign and oversee the implementation of a digital library.

O’Donovan said in a release he was “impressed with Artemis’s extensive experience in leading and developing libraries.”

Kirk comes to Georgetown after directing the University of Rhode Island’s University library. She has almost 30 years of experience in library administration and is an information services consultant.