Georgetown Warming Up For ECACs and NCAAs

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

With the Big East outdoor track and field championships just a few weeks away, the Georgetown track teams headed to the 42nd annual Mt. SAC Relays at San Antonio College in Walnut, Calif., and the Carolina Collegiate Series at Chapel Hill, N.C., this past weekend looking to strengthen their competition for the upcoming tournaments. The women came away with a fourth-place finish at the Carolina competition while the men ended in third place. The Mt. SAC Relays were based on individual competition.

Junior Sasha Spencer was the top finisher for Georgetown in the West Coast competition, which featured athletes on the collegiate and professional levels. Spencer’s 2:08.01 finish in the 800-meter race was good enough for first place, and senior Katrina de Boer finished right behind her in third place with a time of 2:10.33. Their times give both Spencer and de Boer automatic qualifications for the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference competition in ay.

Senior Eric Savoth earned a provisional qualification to the NCAA Championships when he finished fourth in the 5,000-meter race with a time of 13:53.28. Grad student Justin McCarthy also qualified provisionally with a sixth-place, 13:56.07 finish.

Freshman Marni Kruppa posted a 16:40.29 finish in the 5,000-meter race, good enough for seventh place, while junior Emily Enstice took the eighth spot in 16:44.05 and junior Lorena Adams was 11th with a 16:45.89 finish. All three earn provisional bids to the NCAAs with their finishes. Senior Kathleen Linck also earned a provisional qualification with her 16:25.42 time in the 5,000-meter race.

In addition to taking fourth place with 96 points, the Hoya women earned four qualifications for the ECACs at the Chapel Hill meet. Sophomore Tyrona Heath also earned a bid with her second-place finish of 2:10.66 in the 800-meter run. Senior Lisa Roder finished in second place with her 4:37.09 time in the 1,500-meter run, while freshman Allison Snyder was just behind in fourth place with 4:41.12. Freshman Liz Churchville also posted a second-place finish in the 3,000-meter race with a 10:12.44 time.

The field events also provided an important arena for Georgetown competition. Sophomore Brionne Dawson was second in the triple jump with a 36′ 4-1/4″ mark and junior Traci Copeland was fifth with a 34′ 5-1/2″ effort. Freshman Emile Mitescu took fourth place in the pole vault competition with a 10′ 00″ mark. Sophomore Davin Williams brought home second in the long jump with a 7.04 meter mark and third in the 3,000-meter run with 9:37.18.

The Georgetown men also finished well at the Chapel Hill meet. Sophomore Brian Halstead earned a qualification to the IC4A meet with a 1:51.22 win in the 800-meter run, where senior Miguel Lambert finished in third place. Freshman Dylan Welsh and senior Isidro Pimentel ran a two-three finish for Georgetown in the 1,500-meter race, both IC4A-qualifying times. The Hoyas’ 4-x-400-meter team had the top finish in the race, winning with an IC4A-qualifying time of 3:12.24.

Senior Chris Marchal finished in second place in the 3,000-meter race in 8:36.37, while freshman Dan Tebbano took third with 9:37.18.

Both teams head to Emmitsburg, Md., this weekend for the St. ary’s Invitational.