Georgetown University Ranks 44th for Off-Campus Rent

Georgetown is the 44th most expensive school for off-campus living, according to the real-estate website RadPad.

RadPad, an online real estate company focused on marketing apartments to young renters, analyzed all 380 four-year universities on Princeton Review’s 2016 college ranking list to determine the schools with the most expensive rental rates for local off-campus housing.

The company used the median two-bedroom rental price within a one-mile radius of each university to determine which schools have the priciest neighborhoods for students. Stanford University took the top spot with a median rental rate of $5,165 per month. Georgetown ranked number 44 with a rate of $2,332 per month.

Nevertheless, Georgetown fell below three other universities in the District. George Washington University had the fourth-highest off-campus rates in the country at $4,100 a month, while Howard University ranked number 14 at $3,450 per month and American University, with a rate of $3,012, ranked number 20.

According to RadPad spokesperson Kyle Austin, the high ranks of other D.C. schools are likely due to their location within D.C. and their neighborhood’s supply and demand.

“A lot of it comes down to basic economics, supply and demand. For instance, while American University is further outside of downtown D.C. than Georgetown, and would appear to be in a cheaper rental area, it could potentially have a lot less rental supply in the area,” Austin wrote in an email to The Hoya.

Austin also noted the price for room and board at Georgetown for one month is $3,238, a full $900 more than the cost for a month of off-campus living at the neighborhood median. For some students, Austin argues, living off-campus can be a money-saving tactic.

The ranking comes at a time when the shape of off-campus life at Georgetown is in flux. The current Class of 2018 is the first class at Georgetown to fall under a new policy restricting them to on-campus living for at least three years of their four years on the Hilltop. Previously, students could transition to off-campus living after only two years.

Austin said he believes such a restriction limits students’ ability to enjoy their college experience the way they would like to.

“Personally I​ think every college should allow their students the option of living off-campus after the first year if they so desire. A student’s first apartment is a milestone to freedom, independence, and responsibility — a vital part to growing up,” Austin wrote.

Austin also noted some of the most intimidating aspects of arranging off-campus housing are essential building blocks to independent living.

“Dealing with a landlord and signing a lease agreement is an intimidating yet inevitable event students will face at one point in their lives. Learning about it at an early stage in college will make finding an apartment after graduation that much easier, since you’ll already have an idea of what the process entails,” Austin wrote.

Alex Potcovaru (SFS ’18), a member of the Student Advocacy Office, noted despite the benefits of off-campus living, conduct policies at Georgetown can complicate off-campus living. Off-campus students face stricter penalties for noise violations and hosting underage drinking events, as well as being held to a different standard of proof during conduction adjudication hearings.

“Because the university Code of Conduct treats off-campus students slightly more harshly, it can be more difficult for students to do some of the things that they like to do on-campus, off-campus,” Potcovaru said.

Blake Spangker (MSB ’18) said despite RadPad’s insistence of off-campus living’s superiority, he still prefers to live on campus.

“I really like the convenience of living on campus. I can roll out of bed and be at class, it’s easier for me to grab something from my room if I forget it. Plus it’s really close to Leo’s,” Spangler said.