Georgetown to Face Nation’s Best at GMU

By Dan Ryan Hoya Staff Writer

Some of the best athletes in the country will be competing in the Patriot-Hoya Coalition Indoor Track Meet this Friday and Saturday at George Mason University.

Georgetown will be sending both the men’s and the women’s teams to go up against national adversaries Arkansas, North Carolina, Stanford, George Mason and Wisconsin.

This weekend’s meet will be one of the biggest events for the Hoyas in recent history, as it is rare for such successful programs to meet outside of the NCAA Championships.

Georgetown Head Coach Frank Gagliano was involved in preparing the meet, along with George Mason’s head women’s coach Norm Gordon.

Gagliano, who is very respected by track programs all over the country, used his clout to bring some of the schools to a commitment.

The outstanding level of talent that Gagliano has assembled at the meet will provide the Hoyas with an early test of their own ability in preparation for the Big East Championship and the NCAA Tournament.

Senior 800-meter runners Matt Kalwinsky and Ky Adderley will be expected to earn a few points, as will sophomore 3,000-meter runner Matt Dunn.

Junior Sean Flynn will feel some pressure to earn first place again in the weight throw, and France Davis will have some competition in the long jump.

Freshmen Jeff Reinhardt, Hakim Johnson and Brian Halstead will also expect to contribute in short distance races and relays.

The women’s meet will be extremely competitive, and the teams have the national rankings to prove it. The Hoyas, ranked sixth, will watch for No. 18 Stanford and No. 21 George Mason.

Associate Coach Ron Helmer added, “Wisconsin is a team that is not ranked, but they could be better than everyone else.”

Helmer will be watching the performances of a few individual athletes. Three returning All-Americans, senior Katrina deBoer, junior Autumn Fogg and sophomore Kristen Gordon will be targets for the Hoyas’ five opponents. Gordon and deBoer specialize in middle-distance races, while Fogg is a long-distance runner.

Junior Lisa Roder, also a distance runner, will look to place this weekend, as will sophomores Sasha Spencer, a sprinter, and Traci Copeland, a long and triple jumper.

“There will be well over 50 All-American athletes competing,” Gordon said in a George Mason press release. “It will be a great opportunity for track fans and high school athletes to see many of the NCAA’s best and likely many future Olympians.”

Tickets will be on sale Friday at the McDonough Arena Box Office from 1 to 5:30. The events take place Friday night 7-9 p.m., and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.