Georgetown Takes Third in Coed, Women’s Regattas

At the Atlantic Coast Championships, two third-place finishes may not be as bad as they seem. In the coed regatta at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Fl., Georgetown came in third behind Boston College and St. Mary’s, two of the top-ranked teams in the nation. The Hoyas’ women finished behind Yale and Charleston, two of the top-ranked women’s teams in the country, at Yale in New Haven, Conn.

After several disappointing finishes this fall, senior Chris Behm and junior Carly Chamberlain came in first in the A division at the coed Atlantic Coast Championship. The pair won five of 13 races and came in second in two other runs.

“The conditions were like Georgetown – it wasn’t windy,” Head Coach Mike Callahan said. “[Behm and Chamberlain] were comfortable in that kind of stuff.”

It was an inconsistent performance from the B Division boat that did in the Hoyas. According to Callahan, Georgetown “was right in the mix” until three double-digit finishes to end the B Division races.

On the women’s side, seniors Blaire Herron and Leigh Fogwell came in third in the A Division, while junior Emily Babbitt and senior Jamie Loeks came in sixth in their B boat. Combined, Georgetown finished 29 points off of Yale’s pace.

“The girls sailed well,” Callahan said. “And Yale is a tough place to sail.”

Callahan added that he thinks both teams should finish third in the final fall rankings after their performances in the fall championships.

In California, a young group of Hoya sailors captured a first-place finish from more experienced West Coast squads. Georgetown received the one MAISA bid to compete in the North/South Sectional at UC-Santa Barbara, and with his experienced sailors racing in the Atlantic Coast Championships, Callahan sent a group of freshman and sophomores out west. Led by freshman Charlie Buckingham and Evan Aras, the Hoyas stole a victory from some of the elite West Coast sailing teams.

Buckingham and Aras spent most of the fall competing in Laser events but showed themselves to be equally apt

“For our last two recruiting classes to beat the top teams at Stanford, UC-Irvine and Hawaii, that’s exciting,” Callahan said. “It’s a pretty good end to the fall season.”