Georgetown Takes Second at NEISA

By Sean P. Flynn Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown coed sailing teams participated at three regattas this weekend, coming in second at the NEISA Team Race at Harvard, third place at the MAISA/SAISA Intersectional at Hampton and fifth at the Szambecki Team Race at Old Dominion University.

The coed team fell two spots in the Sailing World Magazine collegiate poll and is ranked eighth, while the women’s squad remains at the ninth spot.

At the NEISA Team Race, Georgetown competed in 18 races, including a second-place finish in the silver fleet with an 8-2 record. Competing at the race, held at Harvard, were teams of freshman Brian Bissel and sophomore Kate Hewson; freshman Curtis Flood, sophomore Meg Nolan and freshman Ken Ward; and freshmen Cecile Divoy and Alex Holtan.

With 118 points, Georgetown finished in third at the MAISA/SAISA Regatta in Hampton, Va. Hobart/William Smith won the event with 94 points, followed by Florda’s 112 points for second place. In the “A” division, sophomore Raoul Magana and Baye Emery teamed up for a third-place total of 59 points, while in the “B” division, sophomore Peter King and junior Harry Schmidt amassed 59 points for fifth place.

In the seven-team Szambecki Team Race, Georgetown came in fifth place with a 6-8 record. Participating at the Norfolk, Va., race were teams of sophomore John Camera and freshman Leah Williams; senior Ian Burmand and junior Leah Wojcik; senior Liz Bent and sophomore Dana Scalere; and junior Andrew Warner and freshman Peter Frantz.

Next week the Hoyas have one meet, the Area C Dinghy Eliminations at Washington Sailing Marina. Race time is 9 a.m. for both days.