The Georgetown men’s golf team now knows how to start a season the right way, after capturing the Navy Invitational by fourteen strokes at the Naval Academy Golf Club this weekend.

The team capitalized on a vulnerable golf course, finishing with a 36-hole total of 565 (280, 285), three-under par. Towson came in second at 579 (285, 294) while George Washington posted 584 (292, 292), 21 strokes better than their last year’s performance and enough for third place.

“It was a good two days to play golf. The course was moist and there was absolutely no wind,” head coach Tommy Hunter said.

Senior Nick Cook led the way for the Hoyas, posting a five-under par 137 (70, 67) for second place overall. Senior James Farrah holed out with a four-under 138 (68, 70) for fourth place. Senior Peter Rivas finished 18th overall with 146 (71, 75) while sophomores Matt Meyers and David Erickson rounded out the strong Hoya performance by putting up 148 (71, 77 and 75, 73, respectively) for a tie at 25th place.

“We’re finally learning how to be a good 36-hole team as opposed to an 18-hole team, which we have been in the past,” Hunter said. “We’d have one good day and one mediocre day, so we’re learning.”

Despite the Hoyas’ impressive win, the big news of the weekend came for Navy when senior Bill Hurley broke the course record on Sunday by shooting an unprecedented 10-under 61. Hurley, who made it to the round of 32 this summer at the U.S. Amateur Championship at Oakmont Country Club, helped his team finish fifth overall.

“I’ve watched Billy play for four years now and when he gets it going, he plays great,” Hunter said of Hurley’s performance.

As for the Georgetown players, Hunter expressed pleasure for the entire team.

“I think the barn is full this year,” he said. “We have a lot of good players who are pushing the front guys. The front guys know that they can’t have any hiccups if they want to stay in the lineup.”

One of those players is freshman Tim Mounihan, who qualified for the U.S. Amateur Championship this year.

The Hoyas head to Harrisburg, Va. this weekend to play in the James Madison Invitational at Lakeview Country Club.

“We’ll see a little bit of a stronger field next week with Maryland, James Madison and Princeton. We’re going to have to play well again but we feel like we can at this point,” Hunter said.