SWIMMING Georgetown Swimmers Perform Well In Weekend Meet Against Loyola By Nick Marino Special to The Hoya

Tim Llewellyn/The Hoya The Hoyas took on Loyola this weekend and came up with victories for both the men and women.

The Georgetown men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams scored decisive victories over Loyola College Saturday.

In their home water, the women cruised passed Loyola 144-93 and the men defeated their opponents 131-106, completing a clean sweep for the Hoyas over the Greyhounds.

The women looked strong all day against Loyola. In the 400-yard medley relay, senior Caragh Moynihan, junior Liz D’Auria and freshmen Diane Foglizzo and Michelle Herd won with a time of 4:06.90. This time beat all other competition by a little over six seconds.

The Hoyas took the top three places in both the 1000-yard freestyle and the 200-yard freestyle events. In the 1000-yard freestyle, sophomore Colleen Newman led the way with a time of 10:54.59, followed by junior Lauren Moynihan with a time of 10:55.49 and sophomore Erin Kehoe with a time of 11:13.42. Senior Amanda Anderson won the 200-yard freestyle competition with a time of 2:01.68. Junior Katie Hayes finished behind Anderson in second place swimming a time of 2:01.97 and was followed by freshman Laura Nevel, who posted a time of 2:05.90.

D’Auria also won the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 25.75 and Foglizzo won the 200 Yard Individual Medley by posting a time of 2:15.89.

Other first place performances were turned in by Moynihan in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 55.85 and in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:23.77, and by freshman Michelle Herd in 200-yard backstroke event with a time of 2:11.42,

The women’s diving team also came up victorious in both the one-meter and three-meter events thanks to sophomore Kathryn Harrison. She won the one-meter event with a score of 237.60 and also claimed first place in the three-meter event with a score of 242.55.

The men also swam impressively all afternoon as well. Junior Jim cLaughlin was victorious in the 1000-yard freestyle competition with a time of 10:17.12, which was followed in second place by sophomore Edmund Caulfield who swam a time of 10:21.95.

Two more first place finishes were gained freshman Kirill Choulga, who won the 50-yard freestyle event with a time of 22.79, and sophomore Shodai Enters, who won the 100-yard freestyle competition with a time of 49.01. Enters also claimed a second place finish in the 200-yard freestyle event with a time of 1:48.10.

The men also claimed the top three spots in the 500-yard freestyle event. McLaughlin finished in first place with a time of 4:58.05. Caulfield and senior Will Miller rounded out the top three spots with times of 4:58.09 and 5:05.69 respectively.

In the diving competitions, sophomore Michael Kizer took first place in the three-meter event with a score of 228.97. He also chipped in with a second place finish in the one-meter event scoring 211.13, which fell short of first place by 11.77 points.

Overall both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams performed very well in their defeat over the visiting Loyola team. The Hoyas will swim next on Nov. 10 at Binghamton, N.Y.