Georgetown Sweeps Gannon, Swept by Lehigh

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

Georgetown baseball added a pair of wins last Friday, going above .500 for the first time this season. Their status as a winning team was short-lived, as they lost both ends of a doubleheader 24 hours later, and their record slipped to 4-5.

On Sunday, foul weather prevented the Hoyas from evening their record as their game against LaSalle was postponed for the third time in a week.

The Hoyas won both games of their doubleheader vs. the Gannon Golden Knights in the last at-bat of the game. Senior rightfielder Andy Losty came up big in both games, giving the Hoyas the game-winning RBI in each. His bases-loaded walk in extra innings off Gannon pitcher Greg Ward gave the Hoyas a 2-1 win.

Ward went the distance for the Golden Knights, yielding only four hits and two runs, only one of them earned, in 7-1/3 innings. Seven walks, two of which came in the final inning, kept the Hoyas in the game and resulted in both their runs.

Senior lefty Derek Pines gave the Hoyas yet another strong outing, surrendering just one run in 6-2/3 innings, while striking out five. He was relieved by freshman Tony Pina after he got into trouble in the seventh inning. Inheriting two baserunners from Pines, Pina struck out Ganon’s leadoff batter Clint Page to keep the game tied at one. Pina proceeded to pitch a perfect eighth inning before Losty’s bases-loaded walk ended the game, giving the freshman the first win of his collegiate career.

Losty’s sacrifice fly in the second game off Ganon relief pitcher Joe Wright in the bottom of the sixth inning gave him his second RBI of the game, his team a 4-3 win and ended the long day of baseball, as the last inning was cancelled due to darkness.

In addition, Losty’s sacrifice gave Pina his second win of the day. Again, Pina was called to pitch in another high-pressure situation, inheriting baserunners on first and second for the second time of the day. Pina responded to the pressure without allowing a run, picking up four strikeouts in the next 1 1/3 innings.

“I was nervous,” Pina said, “But I love the pressure.”

The Hoyas could not to carry their momentum into Saturday’s doubleheader vs. Lehigh. They were beaten twice by the Mountain Hawks, 6-3 in the first game and 11-10 in the second game. Sophomore Matt Arizin started for the Hoyas, allowing five runs in six innings. Lehigh’s Jeff Pietrak secured the win for the Mountain Hawks with his 3-run homerun in the top of the sixth inning. Two Hoya runs in the bottom of the seventh were not enough to overcome Lehigh’s lead. Junior second basemen Josh Corman led the Hoyas, going 2-4, with a run and an RBI.

In the second game, the Hoyas saw a five-run lead vanish in the sixth inning as Lehigh added eight runs to the scoreboard, all at the expense of senior closer Ben Becchetti, who blew the opportunity for his third save of the year. Keith Treonze’s three-run home run capped off the eight-run inning and sent Becchetti to the dugout.

Apparently, the long weekend of baseball took its toll on the Hoya pitching staff, who had to look to freshman first baseman Eric Sutton to start on the mound. Sutton lasted only two innings, giving up three runs, including a two-run homerun to Micah Damato.

Offensively, freshman catcher Matt Bok led the Hoyas, clubbing the team’s first homer of the year en route to going 2-3 with a pair of runs and RBI’s. Corman contributed two hits, two runs, and two stolen bases to the Hoya’s effort as well.

The Hoyas will enjoy the week off before playing hosts to Binghamton on Friday and LaSalle on Saturday. Georgetown then travels west to California for spring break, where they will battle Pacific, Menlo and Hayward. The Hoyas close out their Spring Break with a three-game series against Brown on the weekend of arch 13-14.