Georgetown Sweeps Away Holy Cross

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

Clutch hitting and great pitching earned Georgetown a doubleheader sweep over Holy Cross Saturday on Harbin Field, 4-3, in the first game and 3-0 in the nightcap.

The Hoyas improved their record to 10-8, putting them two games over .500 for the first time.

For the second time this season, Georgetown won in the final at-bat of the game when sophomore right fielder Brian Cassese hit an RBI single in the bottom of the seventh, driving in fellow sophomore Marc Carlini from second base and giving the Hoyas a 4-3 win in the first game of the doubleheader.

The hit was Cassese’s third, but only the Hoyas’ sixth as a team in the second game. Cassese also accounted for half of the Hoyas’ stolen base total for the game, adding two to go along with his RBI, run and three hits.

Junior second baseman Josh Corman was the other hero for the Hoyas, breaking a 2-2 tie with his third home run of the year, a solo shot in the bottom of the third.

In his second collegiate start, freshman Eric Sutton lasted four innings, allowing four hits, two runs and four walks, while striking out two. In the top of the seventh, Head Coach Kirk Mason looked to sophomore lefty Randy Erwin for his first relief appearance of the year. Erwin pitched a perfect inning, and earned his second win of the year when the Hoyas won it in the bottom half of the inning.

Holy Cross starting pitcher James Sweeney went the distance, striking out nine Hoya batters. On the offensive end, catcher Mike Kardas led the Crusaders, poking three hits to go along with a pair of RBIs.

Georgetown senior ace Derek Pines was the story of Game 2 of the doubleheader, putting forth his most impressive effort of the year, a complete game shutout, the Hoyas’ first this season. Pines yielded only three hits while striking out five and walking none. With the win, Pines improves to 4-1 on the year and lowers his earned-run average to a stingy 2.72.

Senior outfielder Sean Mignogna returned to action after sitting out a few games, and was the lone Hoya with two hits in the game. Corman reached base all three times, going 1-for-1 and walking twice, scoring twice and swiping two bases.

Holy Cross starter Mike Montano was knocked out of the game in the fifth inning, after giving up six hits and three runs, only two of them earned.

The Hoyas will look to go on their first three-game winning streak this year when they challenge Coppin State today at 3 p.m. on Harbin Field. The Hoyas then travel to Shenandoah on Wednesday before returning to Georgetown on Thursday to battle Delaware State at 2:30 p.m. The Hoyas shellacked the Hornets 32-11 in record-setting game in Dover last week.

Next weekend, the Hoyas begin Big East play, with a home doubleheader against St. John’s on Saturday at noon.