Georgetown University senior Arsalan Suleman (SFS ’03) and graduate Dariush Hale Afshar (MSB ’01) were recently awarded prestigious scholarships to study for a year in Ireland as George itchell Scholars. Suleman will pursue graduate study at the University of Dublin, Trinity College and Afshar at the University College in Cork.

Georgetown now has a total of five Mitchell Scholars, the largest number for any university in the United States. About 300 students applied for the award this year.

Suleman and Afshar were among 11 Americans to be honored as itchell Scholars by the U.S.-Ireland Alliance. The nationwide competition provides scholarships to individuals between the ages of 18 and 30 who have demonstrated intellectual distinction, leadership potential and commitment to community service, according to the U.S.-Ireland Alliance.

With a $3 million endowment by the Irish government, the scholarship was established in 1998 in honor of Senator George itchell (D-Maine) and his participation in the Northern Ireland peace process.

A native of Kenner, La., Suleman currently studies international politics and security studies in the School of Foreign Service. “This field allows me to investigate various notions of political and social arrangements at the international level while also analyzing the interaction between foreign states, cultures and civilizations,” he wrote in his application.

The Mitchell scholarship will help further Suleman’s studies as he works toward a Master of Philosophy in international peace studies. He is interested in examining “the regions of world conflict, such as in Northern Ireland, [and how] they were able to move towards peace.” He plans to analyze the lessons of Northern Ireland to compare to other regions such as South Asia, Italy and the Middle East.

Suleman wrote that “in engaging in such case studies, I hope to formulate potential strategies for ending such conflicts.” He is also interested in a career in the U.S. diplomatic corps or in the United Nations.

Suleman is a member of the Alpha Sigma Nu National Jesuit Honor Society, a Robert F. Kennedy Americorps Fellow, was a 2002 Krogh Honors Scholar, chosen from among the top Georgetown SFS students and was chosen by the Georgetown Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program to receive

a grant to study with the Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding.

“Arsalan and Dariush are agents for change,” Georgetown University Provost James J. O’Donnell said. “They truly want to make a difference in the world, and we congratulate them on their achievements and this significant opportunity.”

Georgetown alumnus Afshar, a Washington D.C. native who recently received a bachelor of science degree from Georgetown in business administration, will study economic service in Ireland. He intends to pursue a career in telecommunications, so as to help bring technology to developing nations and bridge the world’s digital divide.

“Telecommunications is changing societies around the world by fostering greater political, cultural and economic exchange,” he wrote in his application essay.

Afshar feels that telecommunications can alleviate world conflict because it helps enhance international relations.

While at Georgetown, Afshar founded the Youth Venture chapter, which matches John Carroll Scholars and Washington area high school students seeking to establish their own businesses and associations. He also worked as a HOYA Staff Writer, president of the Georgetown University Persian-American Cultural Association and was chosen as a member of the Alpha Sigma Nu National Jesuit Honor Society and Pi Delta Phi national French Honor Society. Furthermore, he spent the 2001-02 academic school year in France as a Fulbright Fellow.