Georgetown Steamrolls Toward Rutgers Series

The Hoyas are hitting their stride at the right time.

As conference play draws near, Georgetown has caught fire, as the Hoyas coasted to easy victories against Delaware State and Navy to improve their overall record to a solid 12-8. Georgetown has now won six of their past eight contests.

“I think it’s important to get on a roll,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “I think the kids have a high level of confidence because of that.”

On Tuesday, the Blue and Gray traveled to Delaware State to face off against the Hornets. Ironically, it was the Hornets who got stung – badly.

Wilk must have given the team a pretty good pep talk, as the Hoya bats exploded to put up a mind-boggling 14-run total over the first two innings of play.

“I’d like to make that a habit,” said Wilk.

After a Delaware State error had given the Hoyas an early 1-0 lead, junior third baseman Sean Lamont continued his recent hitting tear, powering a ball over the fence for a three-run homer. Not to be outdone, senior left fielder Billy Cupelo added a two-run shot of his own later in the inning, giving the Hoyas a 6-0 advantage before Delaware State even had a chance to bat.

The second inning proved to be a similar story. This time around, Georgetown compiled four hits but pushed across eight runs. Tommy Lee, Georgetown’s do-it-all senior center fielder, highlighted the inning with a grand slam. The homer was the Hoyas’ third dinger of the game, marking the second time in a week that the Hoyas have gone yard three times in one game.

Lee, Lamont and sophomore DH Rand Ravnaas are now tied for the team lead in homers with four each.

The game was by all means over after only one-and-a-half innings of play. To add insult to injury, Georgetown would tack on three more runs, giving the Hoyas a final 17-8 advantage.

Eleven Hoyas recorded a hit, demonstrating the depth of a well-rounded team. With no sure outs, the Georgetown lineup boasts a serious threat at every spot in the order.

On Wednesday, the Blue and Gray returned home to host the Midshipmen from Navy. This time around, the Hoyas used a new winning tactic – pitching.

Sophomore right-hander Bobby Kirby pitched brilliantly from the get-go, retiring the first eight batters of the game. He proceeded to throw six shutout innings, and for a team struggling mightily on the mound as of late, Kirby’s solid performance was a very good sign.

“That was huge,” Wilk said in regard to Kirby’s play. “[Now] we go into the weekend with 100 percent fresh arms because he was able to go deep in the game and get a W. [That was] definitely the best game I’ve seen him throw since he’s been here.”

Kirby’s only real trouble came in the fourth, when he gave up a one-out triple to Alex Azor. Navy right fielder Michael Speciale followed up Azor by reaching base on a Lamont error. With runners at the corners, he proceeded to retire the next two hitters rather handily, escaping the inning unscathed with the shutout intact.

Meanwhile, Georgetown was able to quietly tack on five runs, enabling them to avoid a late-inning surge from the Midshipmen. The final score was 5-2 in favor of the Hoyas.

The Blue and Gray will finally begin conference play this afternoon, opening up a three-game home series against Rutgers.The Hoyas lost two of three last year against the Scarlet Knights.

Despite his team’s recent success, Wilk is not overlooking his opponent in the slightest.

“Statistically, they look like a very offensive team,” Wilk said. “Historically, they play very good defense and they’ll throw strikes. We’ve got to play our game and we’ve got to play well. If we do that, we’ll be able to take care of business.”

First pitch is slated for 3 p.m. at Shirley Povich Field in Bethesda, Md. “