Georgetown Sets School Record With Six Home Runs in Rout

Less than a week after being pummeled 25-1 by Notre Dame, Georgetown got a taste of what it’s like to be on the right side of a blowout.

The Hoyas’ bats could not be stopped Wednesday, as they hammered out a school-record six home runs in Georgetown’s 23-3 rout of Mount St. Mary’s. Georgetown was coming off of a three-game home stand against Notre Dame in which the Hoyas (8-12, 1-5 Big East) were outscored 38-2, but the offense finally came to life when they got to Emmitsburg, Md.

Hitting in the three and four spots in the lineup, sophomore catcher Sean Baumann and freshman third basemen Sean Lamont combined for six hits and nine runs batted in. Baumann, who entered the game in the fifth inning, had two home runs in his two at bats, including a grand slam in the eighth inning. Sophomore second baseman Chip Malt added three hits to the Hoyas’ total of 23 – two shy of another program record – as Georgetown proceeded to score the most runs in a game since 1999.

“You can go up and down the lineup – everyone had a good day,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “Obviously Baumann had two at bats and hit two out, and Lamont had a very good day, too.”

The only player with a plate appearance not to record a hit was sophomore Billy Concannon, who earned a walk and scored on Baumann’s grand slam.

The Hoyas started the game off with four runs in the top of the first inning and added six in the fifth inning to extend their lead to 15-2. The Mount sent seven pitchers to the mound, and only one escaped without giving up a run.

On the hill for Georgetown was junior righty Jimmy Saris, who gave up three runs over five innings for his second win of the year. Saris struck out four batters while walking just one but gave up nine hits.

“Jimmy was decent,” Wilk said. “He’s still not locating [his pitches] nearly as well as he was last year, nor is he throwing his slider as well. But [Wednesday] was a step in the right direction for him.”

Wilk said he was very pleased with the work he got out of his bullpen. Sophomores Alex Meyer and Jack Bender and senior Daniel Kennedy combined for four innings of two-hit ball. The trio issued only one walk, while striking out eight of the game’s final 12 batters.

Georgetown will look to climb up the Big East standings when it begins a three-game series with South Florida in Tampa tonight. The Hoyas won two of three games two years ago when they traveled to Tampa, but Wilk expects the Bulls to be an improved ball club, with Head Coach Lelo Prado bringing new life the program. Wilk said that Prado, in his second year at the helm of the Bulls, will be able to recruit top talent from Florida and establish USF as a national powerhouse within the next few years.

They are currently 3-3 in conference play and 12-11 overall.

The Hoyas will play two night games at 7 p.m. tonight and tomorrow night and will finish the series with a 1 p.m. matinée on Sunday.