Georgetown Roughed Up

Georgetown Roughed Up

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

It was a disappointing weekend for Georgetown tennis as both the women’s and men’s teams were convincingly defeated by opponents, which in the words of Head Coach Rich Bausch were, “bigger, stronger, and as fast, if not faster than us.”

On Friday, the women fell at the hands of Old Dominion in Newport News, Va. by a score of 8-1. Georgetown was noticeably hurt by the absences of three top players, senior Erin Kamemoto and juniors Lucky Ravindra and Missy Mendes, who were all out due to injury or sickness.

The Hoyas’ lone victory came at the No. 3 doubles spot where sophomores Lindsey Manwell and Jean Roberts combined to defeat Old Dominion’s Ivana Beli and Lacey Lee 8-4. Seven of the eight remaining matches were lopsided victories for Old Dominion who did not allow a single match to advance into the third set. With this loss the women dropped to 3-3 on the season.

The troubles of the women were passed to the men on Saturday who were blanked at Navy 7-0. Missing valuable freshman Nick Sklavonous due to sickness, Georgetown played uninspired tennis against the Midshipmen.

The only bright spots for the Hoyas were their performances at No. 2 doubles and No. 4 singles. The Georgetown doubles tandem of junior Dave Boyer and freshman Ken Jordan played a brilliant match against Navy’s McHugh and Wilcox, but after leading the tiebreak 5-1 they were ultimately defeated 9-8 (7-5). Jordan again played well in his singles match, but lost 6-3, 6-4 to idshipmen Tim Crawmer. The defeat dropped the men to a record of 1-2.

Bausch attributed much of the Hoyas’ troubles this weekend to the impatient play of his teams. Bausch said, “We were looking for a simpler solution that didn’t exist.”

This weekend will not be any easier for the Hoyas. The women play cross-town rival and No. 41 ranked Maryland, while the men will be participating in the Virginia Commonwealth Invitational. There they will face both Radford and Norfolk St., against whom the men had their best victory a year ago.