Georgetown University community service programs will be expanding after receiving a $1.2 million dollar grant from the Corporation for National and Community Service. The grant will fund service projects at the Community Research and Learning (CoRAL) Network over the next three years.

CoRAL, founded in 2000, pairs research interests of students and faculty with local community projects. Three previous projects have been “The State of Latinos in D.C.,” research on illiteracy at a local elementary school and an examination of drug and alcohol treatment in Washington, D.C.

Georgetown anthropology professor Jeffrey Collmann, whose students participated in the project, called CoRAL a “reference guide for political action” because it forces students to become directly involved with vital city issues, a university press release said.

“By recognizing the need for this kind of research and community learning, the Corporation for National and Community Service is helping us mobilize educational and scholarly resources in support of social justice,” CoRAL Director and Associate Professor of Sociology Sam Marullo said.

The mobilization has been swift with future projects already being proposed and established, including support for the Partners in Urban Research Seminar and a strengthened partnership with the Perry School, an elementary school in the North Capitol region of Washington, D.C. CoRAL staff members hope that a closer tie with the Perry school will increase projects in North Capitol.

CoRAL is part of the Center for Social Justice Research, Teaching and Service. Its services reach other local universities including American University, Catholic University, George Washington University, University of Maryland and Trinity College. Each of the schools involved with the service network will be benefiting from the $1.2 million dollars through sub-grants.